Windshields, again... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

Windshields, again...

Ok, well I have searched and know there are all kinds of threads on windshields, but couldn't find what I was looking for...

Now, I know most of you that have them and have researched them go with or recommend something that comes up just around your nose or upper lip, measured from the headlight up. And that the lowers help a lot, too. That all make sense to me, but here is where I am at:

Currently I have just a '14 950 - no windshield or fairing. Around town, riding around the lake, 55-65 mph, no real issues or complaints. No helmet buffeting, just a fair amount of wind on the chest which did become a bit annoying on a windy day running 65-70mph. Felt like I was holding the grips tight to keep from moving back. One modification I am planning that will also really help is the Mustang seat with rider backrest. That will hold my in place.

So, that being said, if I am looking for a touch bit of wind protection, but not a full shield, what are my options. I can't find any like bullet cowl or sport shields, really. Kind of like the Memphis Shades Sportshield Pop Top or Speed Demon.

Just wondering if anyone has one of these or has run one before and what your impression was? Anyone have pictures of one on their 950?

All input appreciated.

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2015, 09:58 AM

Garage
Hello, I have this one from Yamaha:

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...&dealernumber=

It worked well with the wind being deflected up to the top of my helmet. In fact I may be putting it in the classified area soon, cleaning off the shelves.

BLUE BIKE CLUB
Southern Chapter

2009 Vstar 950 - Ultimate Solo Seat, Full Fairing, 3-1" risers, Air Horn!!, Paladin removable sissy bar with luggage rack, Hard Bags and a Mustache Bar.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Tony,

Sent you a PM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:11 AM

Great question: I am also thinking of getting a small windscreen for my 650 to shunt some of the air off my chest. I don't want a big barn door of a shield, just a flyscreen or small shield to push aside some air at freeway speeds.

I was looking at that Boulevard screen, but I can't seem to find any photos showing it installed on a bike. Do you think you could possibly post a couple of pics showing it from front and back?

2014 Yam 650 Custom
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 10:18 AM Thread Starter

I did a Google search on "Yamaha Boulevard windscreen" and it comes up with some pictures of it on Yamaha's, but not the V Star specifically. Doesn't look too bad on there, pretty low profile, and guessing pretty limited wind protection, but I don't want a huge one on there either.

I have read a few different reviews. One says it is 8.5" high or so and the other around 10" high or so. Not sure if it is bike specific or what for the height, but that is not a whole lot higher than the handle bars, but if it follows the angle of the forks should help re-direct air flow some anyway.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 01:54 PM

Garage
This is always an option- 9" spoiler and lowers attached with stainless steel fittings to replace the plastic screws. Easy on easy off with the quick disconnect. Memphis shades has a lot of smaller bullet windshields. I love the batwing as it eliminated all the buffering and the wind in your chest. If you want to keep the boulevard look you can just remove it in a few seconds. The best of both worlds.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Mods:
Memphis Shades Batwing
Yamaha Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Power Point
Kuryakyn Quick Connect Cell Phone Holder
Oxford Premium Cruiser Heated Grips
Scootworks Phatriser I Risers
Cobra Powerflo Air Intake
Cobra Fi2000R

Last edited by Stose85; 07-10-2015 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode