NewB Question/leave fule on,or off - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

NewB Question/leave fule on,or off

Do have to shut off fule all the time.. and shifting question manual says to shift to fith gear at 35mph. And down shifting from 5th to 4th 35 mph all else 15mph.. Never ever done that , just ride to sound of engine a lot more rpms.. what up

Ride Like The Wind
05/650 Star Classic
BUB Pipes
HypoCharger
Swithblade Sheild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 10:42 AM

Ignore the manual's shift points. They serve a purpose in an alternate reality.

I can't tell you not to shut the fuel off. Motorcycle fuel shutoffs were originally designed because the fuel was gravity fed into the carburetors. It prevented the floats from leaking by and filling your garage with fuel. I don't know what you're riding but I have a fuel injected 1300 and I never shut it off unless I'm removing the tank. Heck, the valve is even hidden up under the tank and not easy to get to. If yours is out in the open and the manufacturer recommends it, by all means, shut it off.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

05 650 classic

no fuleinjected just carb..if float stuck fule go into cranckcase?or over flow tube

Ride Like The Wind
05/650 Star Classic
BUB Pipes
HypoCharger
Swithblade Sheild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 AM
Lifetime Premium

Shut your fuel off every time you stop. Its a good habit. Fuel is delivered by gravity, so the only thing from keeping your carb from overflowing and pouring out is a little needle. All carbs should be shut off. Unless--- you have the auto off stopper thing. Which your bike doesn't.
I don't remember where it goes to, mine used to drip on the floor if I left it on. I don't have my carbed 650 anymore.

And ya, ignore those shift points. Shift when it feels right. I know I didn't shift to 5th in either my 650, or my 950 until 50-55-60mph, depending on the conditions.

Downshifting, same thing, just feel for it. You don't want to be going too fast or you'll REALLY be stopping that bike fast, and could lock up your rear tire. Just feel for it, and ease off the clutch slowly when doing so.

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!

Last edited by Mr Schaefer Pants; 07-06-2015 at 08:34 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigBike View Post
no fuleinjected just carb..if float stuck fule go into cranckcase?or over flow tube
You should have tubes installed that it will overflow into, but that doesn't mean it can't end up in a cylinder. Since you have a carb and it's not a vacuum petcock just shut it off and keep in the habit of doing so. It's NOT something to be scared of, but it is something to respect. Besides, if you don't do it regularly you may run into "that one guy" who likes to turn petcocks off when he sees them and sit back and see how long it takes you to figure out it's off. Works great for fuel injected owners who don't even know they still have a petcock.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 06:46 PM

The only time I ever turn mine to "off" is when I take the fuel tank off. The 650 has a fuel pump so it's not going to drain the tank if you leave it on....unless the fuel can figure out how to climb into the float bowls on its own (it travels down to the fuel pump, then up to the carbs).

Some bikes you definitely need to turn it off.....The 650....it's not that big of deal.
pmadden327 and pmadden327 like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Yep, mine's been open on my 650 since 2000. I only close it when taking things apart.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:03 AM

The only time mine is turned off is if I remove the tank or put it away for the winter. If it leaks you have a problem with the float and should have it fixed.

2016 FZ 07

2004 V Star 650 Classic (SOLD)
Vance and Hines Cruzers
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worty View Post
The only time mine is turned off is if I remove the tank or put it away for the winter. If it leaks you have a problem with the float and should have it fixed.
I definitely agree that if it leaks, you have a problem. However, coming out to your bike after its been sitting say at work or on vacation and you're miles from a gas station is not a good way of finding this out.

You'll know something is up when you start smelling gas or your usage increases for no known reason. Turn it off when you stop every time and you will save yourself major headaches. I speak from experience on this one. It was the first thing I asked the salesman when I bought my 950 after a 30 hiatus from riding, "where's the fuel petcock"? At the time, I didn't know that fuel injected systems didn't have a valve. The point is that it was that important to me.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 11:06 AM

Garage
I always turn mine off when I'm done riding. If I am riding and just stop for lunch or to go to a store or stop by a friends, I usually do not turn it off - even if it will be a couple hours. When I fill up, I usually ride for 5-10 miles with the petcock on reserve so if there is any gas in the reserve column, it gets refreshed. Funny how we all have a little rituals and routines.

'05 V Star 1100 Silverado $2000
Jardine Rumblers Slash Cut Slip-ons $50
Ext. Depot Billet ORK $120
LED Daymaker Headlight from Amazon $59
LED Driving Lights attached to Stock Turn Signal Stems $29
SuperbrightLEDs High Power Brake LED w/ Brake Flasher $18
SuperbrightLEDs "Switchback" Front LED Bulbs $28
Unibar Engine Guard $35
Rear Fender Mini Luggage Rack $25
Throttle Assist $32
Cruising with the Wind in your Face - Priceless
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode