Star 650 power in 5th gear at cruise - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Question Star 650 power in 5th gear at cruise

So I'm bombing down the road going about 45-50mph. I notice when I shift in to 5th gear I don't have much get up and go, and 4th feels a lot better, I can rev it up and get up to 60 if I want to in 4th, etc. I think 5th gear on the 650 is more of an overdrive. Is that correct? Certainly when I'm on the highway going 55-60mph 5th gear is the choice. But on country roads I think 5th isn't so great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 11:48 PM

Yeah, at 45-50 I would still be using 4th I think; in 5th gear I think it would feel very low, not quite lugging.

2014 Yam 650 Custom
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:19 AM

I don't use 5th unless I'm going to maintain OVER 50 mph, like closer to 55. To accelerate from that speed I sometimes downshift to 4th but it's not totally necessary, 4th will scoot you up to 65 maybe a little faster. But yes, anytime I'm going to be doing at least 55 or over for a long period, then 5th gear is fine. I feel 45-50 in 5th is too low for that gear. I've had my 650 for almost 5 years now so I'm used to the way it's geared. Although I still think it could use another gear for cruising the highway at 75+. It'll do it but there isn't much left when you get to those speeds.

Last edited by Dave; 07-06-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 AM

A lot depends upon the terrain. I found that on the level or downhill the 650 did great in 5th gear at 50 or above. If I was pulling a grade I would stay in 4th below 55. If she's lugging, you need to drop to a lower gear. If she's loafing, go for the higher gear. There's no exacts in motorcycle shifting.

Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Lifetime Premium

Yup, stay in 4th till 55 or so. Or like someone said, going downhill you can be in 5th. Its all about hearing/feeling.

Remember these engines can rev pretty dang high, safely, and stay there. If its lugging, shift down, you still have another 10-15mph to go

.:'09 Vstar 950T:.

VOTE for the BikeOfTheMonth It only takes a moment and you get to check out a bunch of great scoots! Participate all you rascals!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode