Even the mechanic is stumped on this one - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Even the mechanic is stumped on this one

So here's the story, I have an 06 V-star 1100. This spring I went to start it up and it only ran on one cylinder. I pulled the tank off, got to the airbox and noticed gas backing up into it, bingo, bad carb. I had a lot going on that month so I took it into the Dealer for a carb rebuild job. I was told it would be a few weeks cuz they're backed up, no biggie. Couple weeks later they call, all done, come pick it up. I go in, pay 330.00 (ouch!) and they bring the bike around. I can tell immediately that it sounds different, sort of flat? I have aftermarket slip-ons on it. I get on it and start riding away, bad news, runs like poop, leaning out all over. I turn around take it back, they look at it and tear it down to adjust the mixture. An hour later he says "here try it now, take it around for a bit" I drive around and its no better. So back to the Dealer we go. I leave it with them overnight, they call an say i've git bad intake boots. They did the brake cleaner spray test and it dropped idle. So a week later they get the boots, tell me its ready. I go in and pay 220 (ouch again). The mechanic brings the bike up and says "I must've had these carbs off 6 or 7 times. Its still leaning out a little in high rpm but it must be because of the pipes" i drive away and WOW!! It still runs like garbage, not as bad as before but still bad. I can't believe they let me drive this away. So i thought screw it, i'll do it myself. I tore the carbs off. He had 110 jets fir both carbs. I put a 112.5 one in the front. He also only had the mixture screws out 2 turns. I turned them out 3-1/2. And it still leans out bad in mid and high throttle. Any ideas? I'm at a loss here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 03:36 PM

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting when it comes to jetting i check the table, scroll down about a third of the page to table a. and compare the bikes setup .slipons with stock exhaust.
a test to check a lean condition is when your having a problem is slowly open the choke to see if the condition gets better or worse.
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

According to the chart, i have the right jets and the right pms setting. Actually the pms is a little rich.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:04 PM

What are the needles set at? Are they stock needles or did somebody put in dynojet stuff? (as in jets and needles)?

I'd make sure they are stock Mikuni jets and needles. Dyno jets sizing is different...and their needles aren't the best.

Did you tyr the choke test Nick57 mentioned to verify you are lean and not rich?

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

I will try the choke test tonight. Not sure what needles they changed, if any. Guess i will have to take them off the bike and dig deeper to find out. Is there a way to tell if the needles are mikuni or not?
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:21 PM

All that info is right here...

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1...g/carb-jetting

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Tried the choke test, it didn't make it better at all. I guess I'll pull the carbs again and look at the needle jets. I should also back the pms back to 2 turns.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Also, underneath the carb where the heater assy. screws in. (look at this link on page 8 figure L, http://www.vstar1100.com/1100jetting.pdf ) You'll see a screw or cap just across from it on the other side of the PMS screw. I have an open hole there with nothing screwed in. Any idea what this is for and if I need to have it capped off?

Last edited by bearthehunter; 07-09-2015 at 06:34 PM.
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 PM

the brass colored phillips screw i dont think it has a purpose..maybe they use these carbs for other vehicles..with slip-ons you could go up to 115 on the mains, also with slip-ons you may get popping on decell. if so opening the pms screw out an eighth turn at a time till the popping goes away. if you get the mains and pms set like in the kb and you still have issues i would take a look at what type needle is in it definatly would be best a mikuni.
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

I don't get any poppin on deceleration. I have the pms turned out to 3-1/4 right now and it's going lean on 1/2 - 3/4 throttle. I'm going post of video of it tomorrow going down the road, then I'll pull the carbs off and look at the needle jet to see what they got in there. I'm SO asking for some of my 550.00 back from the dealer when I get this running right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode