Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Starter clutch looks good, but sounds awful.

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Deeksvstarclassic 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Really hoping to confirm a diagnosis on this.
2004 Vstar 1100 classic. Doesnt turn over evenly, and had a real clunk to it.
I took the starter clutch out last weekend, and everything with it looked fine, no signs of abrasion, all the pawls looked intact. I cleaned it all up and put it back together and it still has a terrible clunk to it and turns over unevenly.
I took an iphone video of what it sounds like, but i cant figure out how to attach it to this. I wish i could, cause you gotta hear this, it sounds more like something broken than a slipping starter clutch I think.
Appreciate any advice.
T

#3 ·
I had the same problem, very noisy when starting, one day it just started spinning no start, so took it to shop and $1200: and 2 weeks later, got it back. Replaced one way starter clutch. They told me that have had many issues with stock one way clutch, and they put in an upgraded Teflon coated so hopefully no more starter issues! Knock on wood!

#4 · (Edited)
I have no personal experience with the 1100 clutch, but I do know that when all the noise leaks out mechanical parts stop working with a loud BANG!

your clutch is on its way to a better place

it will fail eventually

until you can replace it, push start your bike whenever you can, and only use the starter when you must

to push start the bike, park it pointing downhill if you can, duck walk or let it roll downhill up to 10 to 15mph in neutral, then with the ignition and fuel and kill switch set to run, pull the clutch in, kick it up into 2nd gear, and let the clutch out.

if you have never done this before, try it while riding - going 40mph in 4th or 5th gear pull the clutch in and hit the kill switch - engine stops

turn the kill switch back to run and let the clutch back out (still in 4th or 5th gear) - engine is running - its really that simple, nothing to be afraid of.

racing bikes dont have starters or batteries - they are always push-started

at 10 to 15mph it works better in 2nd gear. 1st gear might make the back wheel skid and not turn the engine over.

Reactions: arby and Redbird58
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.