What gas U been useing for a 650? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

What gas U been useing for a 650?

Book says you can use just Reguarl. But I thinking Plus or Prem .might make bike run better.Useing Reg gas now seem to run alright.

Ride Like The Wind
05/650 Star Classic
BUB Pipes
HypoCharger
Swithblade Sheild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 06:36 PM

Higher octane = more anti-knock additives. If it ain't knocking on regular, you don't need premium.

But don't take my word for it: try a tank of the premium stuff back-to-back with regular 87. If you weren't noticing any knocking or pinging on regular, you won't notice any improvement with premium.

A lot of the gas companies try to imply in their ads that premium is somehow better or packs more power than regular. It's advertising hype.

2014 Yam 650 Custom
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 01:14 AM

New rider here, so my two cents. I put 89 in the tank. "Plus" gas. I figure it can't hurt to get a slightly higher octane to prevent pinging. Plus I only ride around 100 miles a week so the gas lasts a while!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 05:17 AM

The owners manual is spot on. If it ain't broke , don't fix it. Avoid any of the 15% ethanol if there is any in your area. Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 10:33 AM

Personally, I refuse to buy ANY vehicle that requires premium gas. Besides the expense, there are a lot of stations here in Nebraska that do not have premium at all.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Garage
I use regular octane but do use non-ethanol E0 whenever possible. I have an app called Pure Gas and it shows where to get it. I use it in all my carburetor engines so it won't gum up.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 06:36 PM

The compression on the 650 is pretty low so there should be no need to run anything higher than regular and the owners manual would tend to agree.

A very common misconception is that high octane fuel is more powerful, it is not. It is actually harder to detonate, thus allowing higher cylinder temps before pre-ignition becomes a problem. If your vehicle can run full timing advance at a given octane rating with no detonation, increasing the octane further will actually cost you power and economy. That's the theory anyway, I have recently decided to put it to the test. I keep very close records of my fuel economy and have tons of data on the kind of mileage I get with regular. I figured I'd run premium for a while and see what happens. I fully well expect to only gain a lighter wallet, but this sort of thing interests me so I'd like to back up theory with my own data.

As some others have mentioned, ethanol blended fuels can be a big problem. Most vehicles will run just fine on e10 but the stuff degrades VERY quickly and can cause serious damage to your fuel system if allowed to phase separate. Thus you need to examine your riding habits. During the summer I ride my bike as much as possible and burn mostly e10 gas. The reason being that there is only one station in my town that sells pure gas and it is usually $0.30 per gallon or more higher than e10. Over the summer it is rare that gas will be in my tank for more than a week, so I don't worry about it too much.

Now fall and winter is a different story. Weather patterns are so stupid here that it can easily go from perfectly comfortable to ride to parking the bike for the winter in just a matter of days. As such when the weather starts to get colder and I might have to park the bike for an extended period at any moment, I start to fill up with ethanol free fuel and I go the extra step of treating that with Amsoil fuel stabilizer. I make it a point to do this for several tanks before I have to park it just to get the most ethanol out of the tank as possible. Consider this, it's a 4.2 gallon tank. If it has 10% ethanol and your fill-up is only 3.2 gallons of 100% pure gasoline, you still have 2.3% ethanol in your tank. Do it again and you are finally under 1%. Is this overkill? Probably, but if you've ever dealt with ethanol related fuel problems, you'll understand why I do it.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:51 AM

Garage
LBB, when I had my 650 classic, I used ethanol free 87 octane and it ran great. Like eruby, I have the pure gas app and it helps a lot when I'm out of town on my 950t. Running premium in my 650 only cost me more at the pump. When I traded it in, I was getting a consistent 55-58 mpg on the highway.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:47 PM

Just keep her topped up with unleaded regular...

'08 VStar 1100 Classic
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

A lot of good info,think ill stay with Reg, gas and just before laying her up for the winter will run some ethanol free gas and run the carbs dry.Filling her up about once a week so far going to work and back...

Ride Like The Wind
05/650 Star Classic
BUB Pipes
HypoCharger
Swithblade Sheild
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode