Cobra FI 2000 stopped working - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Cobra FI 2000 stopped working

Need advice. I noticed I had a little bit of hesitation in 1st and 2nd gear so checked the spark plugs. They looked ok (front was a little dark) but since I had them out, replaced them. Fired up the bike and was replacing tool kit when noticed no lights on the FI 2000. All connections looked good. Rode bike, slight hesitation still there. You really don't feel it at higher speeds.

Questions:

How susceptible are these fuel managers to water? I've been in two horrendous rain storms recently.

Would failure of the FI 2000 cause the hesitation? I have no baseline as bike came with cobra shorts and fuel mgr. I added power flo intake.

Thanks all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

i would think if the FMS stopped working then the bike would just use the ECU's pre-programmed fuel ratio. maybe the hesitation is because now your bike has a leaner fuel mix than you're used to all of a sudden. and where you used to have added power, there is none. i assume you tried reconnecting the unit? seems like no lights=broken

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-12-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

That's kind what I'm thinking with regards to the ECU. I'll try to troubleshoot the fuel manager but I'm afraid it's shot. The casing is cracked; I dont remember it that way last time I had the seat off. I just had a new battery installed a month ago by a local indy shop. Hmmm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 08:57 AM

Garage
Hi Chazz, bevo is correct. If the FMS has quit working the ECU factory settings take over with a loss in performance. I'm hoping for your sake the battery installer didn't crush the FMS unit. Please keep us updated.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

I'm hoping it's just running lean. Thinking cracked case on FMS + water = bad news. I can't say for sure the battery installer messed it up but..................I read the casings are pretty delicate
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 07:16 PM

Did the battery installer connect the ground wire back up? Did lights come on with just the key on? If not the board may have an issue. I just bought one but have a warranty claim in because after install, bike wouldn't crank ( will turn over). I will have the unit sitting in the tool tray instead of instructions placement. Good luck.

2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:17 AM Thread Starter

Dunno, haven't had time to dig into yet. I think it's toast but will check all the connections and ground. Good suggestion.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolesman76 View Post
Did the battery installer connect the ground wire back up? Did lights come on with just the key on? If not the board may have an issue. I just bought one but have a warranty claim in because after install, bike wouldn't crank ( will turn over). I will have the unit sitting in the tool tray instead of instructions placement. Good luck.
No lights at all!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:36 AM

Sorry. That doesn't sound good. Having the cracked case, you may want to open it and see if connector to board is loose.

2008 V Star 1300 Tourer
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Could not troubleshoot the issue; sometimes shizz just breaks. My mistake for not popping the seat off after the battery install to make sure buttoned up properly.

Ordered a new FI2000R O2 today.......my bad luck is the next owner's good fortune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode