Noisy 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Noisy 950

So, I have had my V Star 950 for alittle while now and have about 310 miles on it. Most rides have been two up with the wife and with helmets on. Tonight was the first time solo without a helmet.

Now, little background: all of my previous bikes have been water cooled and either Japanese inline 4 or Triumph Triple and have had both carbed and fuel injection and all have been very smooth and quiet.

That being said, I have heard a "ticking" from the engine when wearing helmets, but didn't think much of it. Tonight it seemed overly loud riding without a helmet. Is this something inherent to a air cooled v-twin or potential issue?

The bike idles smoothly and quiet, but even out of gear if you give a little rev you hear it. Bike seems to run just fine, no real power loss from day one, and gets decent gas mileage. Is it just the way these are? Sounds like a lifter or my '93 Z28 that had loud fuel injectors and at one point an exhaust leak.

My bike is bone stock and had 0 miles on it the first time I rode it. Have not been doing WOT or hard on it, but have rode it like I would if it had 2,000 miles on it. I will add I have used 91 octane in it except when I put 1 gallon of 87 in just to get home to a place that had 91. Owner's Manual says 87 should be fine, dealership recommended running 91.

Thoughts or input? Other 950 owners have this too? Just wondering...

Last edited by Eric91Z; 07-14-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:01 PM

I thought that I would go nuts for the first 2,000 or so miles on my 950, very noisy. I finally determined that it was the nature of the beast and put the ear plugs in, donned a full face helmet and rode her. By the time I traded her I had 13,500 miles and didn't even notice the ticking.

I used the recommended gas and do not believe that going to higher octane is of any benefit. These bikes are designed to run on 87 octane.

Augie

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Well, I guess that's good to know. Guess one more excuse to get that V&H full exhaust I want!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 10:30 PM
Super Moderator

either the ticking will go away or you just get used to it. at any rate, it is normal.

surprised your dealership recommended premium gas. did they give any reason for that? sounds like they don't know this model bike very well since Yamaha recommends 87 octane since that is what the engine is designed for. just go with regular and don't waste your money on the premium. you are not gaining ANY benefits from the premium.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 11:10 PM Thread Starter

Good to know on the gas. If no benefits from 91 and harm from 87, then 87 it is!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 AM

Don't ya just love a dealership employee that knows better that the hundreds of engineers that designed and built the bike!

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:17 AM

Garage
Eric my 950t has always been a bit noisy as well. After adding the cobra exhaust, I didn't notice it much anymore. I run ethanol free 87 octane with no issues. I'm fortunate to have two stations in my area that have it. The Pure Gas app is a big help in locating ethanol free stations across the country.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

I know, little off topic, but here we have 87 octane, 87 octane with Ethanol, or 91 with Ethanol, and of course E85. Thing that sucks is regular 87 octane around here is almost the same price as the Ethanol blend 87 octane.

Guess given our current amount of riding the regular 87 would probably be best to help avoid water build up when it sits...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 09:32 AM

Garage
It is, I use the ethanol free in my bike, mower, and when I had a gas weed eater. I've had no issues with water build up of any kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode