Seats and Sissy Bars - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Seats and Sissy Bars

Ok, yes, these general ideas are in a lot of threads, but I am not finding the specific answers I am trying to find. And I have sent emails to Mustang and Ultimate, but still waiting on response.

Anyway, looking at new seat ideas. First for the wife's comfort and second for me. Of course, it has come down to the Mustang and Ultimate. Originally I was leaning towards the Mustang, but don't like the idea of being moved forward, even an inch or so. Already wishing I had more room.

So now looking more towards the Ultimate. Plus, there are multiple members in our local Star Touring group that swear by the Ultimate include a couple that have done 1000+ miles in a day!

Biggest problem I am seeing is that the Ultimate site (and some threads on here) note that the Ultimate passenger seat will not fit with the Cobra short sissy bar (even some threads saying the Mustang won't either).

Now, we got a Cobra sissy bar/back rest when we got the bike new. I am not exactly sure which model, but pretty sure it is the round short version. Overall height is about 14" and round standard is listed as 17". So guessing we have the short. I can't find out the specific reason the short won't work, but guessing because of how/where the support bars come in would interfere with the passenger seat.

So, I am looking at options to make this work. One main reason I like the Ultimate, besides stock seating position, is that I can buy in pieces and that all rider seats are back rest ready, so can add that whenever I want to break up the overall cost.

So, looking for any input on why the Ultimate rear seat does not work with a short Cobra sissy bar? And if the only reason is because of where the bars angle in, instead of getting a new sissy bar, could I get something like this for additional 3" clearance and make the rear seat work:

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ32...41227-55963-NA

And more importantly, any idea if that would work with the Cobra sissy bar?

If not, guess I would have to look for a Cobra standard sissy bar and try to sell my short to recoup costs.

So, what do you think? All thoughts and input appreciated. If you added one of these and originally had a Cobra short sissy bar, what did you do?

Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 07:38 AM Thread Starter

Also, if you are running the Ultimate seat on a bike with sissy bar/backrest, preferably 950's, can you post a seat picture on this thread? Especially close ups of the passenger seat and sissy bar?

Thanks,
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Did get an email back from Ultimate. They noted they have not actually tried fitment of the Ultimate passenger seat with the short Cobra sissy bar on a 950, but were advised by customer it wouldn't work. I had asked for seat measurements, but did not get those. They did say they have 14 day return policy. So we could always get and tryout and go from there. Guessing might have to switch to the actual Yamaha sissy bar setup if the Cobra doesn't work with it as wife really likes the height of the Cobra short sissy bar and Ultimate advised their seat should work with any OEM sissy bar setup.

Can someone post the passenger seat measurements (height and width of seat) at the portion back by the sissy bar area?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode