Handlebars for 950, again... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Handlebars for 950, again...

Ok, I have searched, but not finding what I am looking for. For a bike that is so highly talked about, the 950 seems to be a bit of a bastard child when it comes to the aftermarket. Find everything for the 650, 1100, even 1300 V Star, but not the 950!

Anyway, I know most people are looking for more comfort from their handlebar setup, but I am looking for more style. I have riden a Suzuki M109R and Triumph Thunderbird Storm as well as sitting on the HD Breakout and my favorite, the Star Raider. I want a handlebar setup that fits more in line with those bikes.

The 950's handlebars pull back a little too much for my with too much curve back like a beach bar. I want more of a drag or straight bar setup, but having a hard time determining exactly what to jump and try.

I like the look of these Yamaha bars:

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...2&dealernumber

But of course not listed for the 950...

Here is shot of the Breakout:

I obviously want something that clears the gas tank when turning and doesn't have me hunched way over to reach the bars. When sitting on the Breakout and Raider, I can reach the bars with little to no real reach and elbows not locked out - still have some bend to them and it feels quite comfortable to me.

While the easy of bolting in a Drag bar like that Star Accessory one would be nice, that locks you in to one height and pull back, so it better be right the first time. Other option is risers with separate bar. That would give flexibility of being able to just swap risers if needed something different.

What do you guys think? Anyone done similar? If so, which route did you go and why?

Also, any and all pictures of setups would be appreciated. Can you provide info like which bike and which bar/riser setup you have? And what, if anything, you might have done differently?

All input appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

if you're keeping your stock risers, any 1" handlebar should fit. that should expand your search options quite a bit.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Good point. Only question would be if the stock risers would give enough tank clearance with a flat style bar...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:15 AM
Super Moderator

looking at a picture of the bike, it seems like you should have plenty of clearance to me. you can get a tape measure or something long and flat and place it across your risers and then rotate it as if it were a handlebar to check what your clearance would be.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Was in the dealership yesterday to have them get a bolt out that was seized so I could get my new Viking saddlebags installed and looked at some bar options as well as taking stock measurements on a 950 and a Raider for some comparisons.

Found the Flander's "Bad Boy" handlebars that have 3.5" rise, 32.25" width (little narrower than stock, which is fine for me) and 7" pull back - we guesstimated the stock at 13-15mm. And much flatter than the stock pull back.

Don't think a real, flat drag bar would clear properly on OEM risers, but these might be a nice compromise:

http://www.sideroadcycles.com/Import...t883_Type.html

Biggest thing I would like to find is something that is a little flatter and less pull back for aesthetics as well as hand position/comfort as I am not a huge fan of the stock grip location and position it puts me hands in.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:05 AM

It sounds like you feel the same way as I do. I'm very curious what you ended up doing.

I'm thinking about the Baron 1-1/4" Hot Rod Drag Bar with 6" rise, 7" pullback, and 33" width.
http://www.pacificcoaststar.com/pcs/..._drag_bars.htm
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 08:45 AM

I had my brother custom fabricate a set of bars for my 950.... I went with a bagger look on my bike to my bars were made to fit for a fairing but I got away from the long wide sweep back and more of an upright taller set.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 10:42 AM

They normally don't list handlebar fitment by bike model because almost any handlebar will fit any bike. Just find the bar you want....you can always change risers, cables, hoses or whatever to fit. There are millions of combinations available.

If your confused about what to do, call Shane at SS Custom Cycle for advice. He will get you exactly what you want with no guess work. Just tell him Sick Mick told you to call....
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-17-2016, 04:52 PM

Garage
I agree with Sick Mick. I recently spent the past 6 months looking for a set of mini apes for my 09 950. At the end of the time, I came to the conclusion that any handlebar will fit our bike as long as it meets the following criteria; that is, the clamping area is 1 inch in dia and the bar is not set up with the new throttle system that us used on Harley's. I talked to several manufactures and tech guys and have found out that many of the bars that are 1 1/4 in dis with reduced areas for clamping and grips might need to have the risers "trimmed" to account for the need for the clamping area length.
Something I did learn, though, is if you look at handle bars designated for harley's will cost more than the bars that are for a Honda or other brands. They all have the same measurements and same finish but the name harley commands extra money.
I would recommend that you determine what you are looking for, such as mini apes, Apes (how tall???), finish (painted, chrome, plastic dipped). From there, look at the different manufactures and styles that is out there and make you list of preferences. Then get the measurements of them and, with plastic tubing and other crafty items, make a handlebar to those measurements and mount it to your bike to determine if that is what you want. I ended up getting a cheap (excuse me it is inexpensive) model of the El Diablo handlebar. I love it and it fits me perfectly.

"Dance like this is the last dance "
2009 V Star 950 Tourer
Windshield; Clevver; V&H exhaust.; Highway bar
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-20-2016, 09:27 PM

Here's what I'm thinking...

carriep8472 and carriep8472 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode