2005 650 custom questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-16-2015, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

2005 650 custom questions

Ok, this is a 2 part question. Purchased an 05 650 custom, and on the title and according to the dealer i purchased it from(a yamaha dealer) used, the model is XVS65TB. Now i cant find any real trace of info on the TB, all i can find is T or TC. So when buying parts(engine and other OEM parts, not aftermarket things) what exactly do i look for, the xvs65t? or something else.

Now on to the second part of my question. After getting the bike home i noticed it was leaking from i believe the right crankcase cover near the rear of it(far away from where the filter is. It seems to be coming from the crankcase cover near where the back of the engine is. The area you can actually poke a finger down in and back in towards the front of the crankcase cover, as in it has a small recess where it does not meet up with any other part of the engine.

So im thinking perhaps the main gasket for the crankcase cover(part 23 on any crankcase cover 1 diagram i can find for the xvs65 line).

To show exactly where i believe the oil is coming out look at the diagram Here It seems to be around where the number 22 points to on the actual cover, so im thinking maybe the gasket behind there.

Not 100% sure thats the spot. It was coming out and hitting the exhaust pipe just above it and also going all the way back down the pipes and even some on the rear tire Also hit a bit up towards the seat, likely just from wind while riding.

Only other spot i can think of is maybe the rear cylinder gasket, but i was not able to find any oil around that spot. I will get a better look tomorrow, didnt notice it today until around sundown.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 10:43 PM

Garage
iirc, xvs65t is a midnight model. pics would help though. look for any xvs65, classic or custom engine and drivetrain are the same

as for your leak, thats a random place for a leak. I would look closer to the crappy oil filter cover assembly, and check torques too...DO NOT overtighten

ISRA #4642
98 VStar 650 Classic
Ignant is Bliss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode