Is the 950 the V-Star red-headed step-child? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Is the 950 the V-Star red-headed step-child?

In a lot of accessories i see they fit the 650 and 1100 but not the 950. How is the 950 that much different?

2014 V-Star 950 Touring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 04:51 PM

It's so damned good right out of the box that, there isn't a need for all that stuff. Lol

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_ride_rick View Post
In a lot of accessories i see they fit the 650 and 1100 but not the 950. How is the 950 that much different?
It has a completely different frame, motor and pretty much everything else is specific to the 950.

What are you looking for that you can't find? There's a lot you can do that is not brand specific. Also, check with Shane at SS Custom Cycle..

As far as accessories.... Yamaha introduced the Bolt and all the customizers went nuts....so there is a plethora of goodies for those.....and I think that one had kind of stolen a bit of the thunder from the remaining Star line.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2015, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
i've been looking at a few things, what got me today was the Kuryakyn light bar http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ku...s/part/KY-5001

2014 V-Star 950 Touring
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 05:58 AM

Is the Yamaha light bar out of the question?

The 950 was a total redesign and as such does not enjoy the aftermarket parts availability that some of the older models do.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.

Last edited by commonground; 07-19-2015 at 03:32 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by md_ride_rick View Post
i've been looking at a few things, what got me today was the Kuryakyn light bar http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/ku...s/part/KY-5001
Talk to Shane at SS Custom Cycle.... I'm sure there are options and he'd most likely know. It sure beats the info provided by those major internet websites. Over the years I've found their info to be misleading, incorrect and just flat wrong far too many times.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick – 6* Tree - 2" extended forks – 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock – Pods – Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2015, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

i've managed to put a TON of aftermarket doodads on my bike. you don't have to just look for things that say "fitted to 950" to get them to fit on the bike. and some things may need some modifications. you may have to use your imagination somewhat, or find a bike shop. but if there is something specific that you want for the 950, there's a good chance the item is already out there.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 07:56 AM

You need imagination and a handiness with tools. A lot of guys on these forums have done some nice things to their 950s, but had to work around the lack of after market parts. I don't get it. The bikes been out for a few years now. If you read the threads on all of the discussion groups, the 950 thread is always be the most active and yet the parts manufacturers seem not to be jumping on the band wagon so to speak. Maybe is a distrust of Yamaha seeing this model through a reasonable life cycle. It also be that the major selling point of the 950 is cost and aftermarket parts are expensive so these suppliers are not predicting enough sales for their items to make it profitable. I've said it before that I believe Yamaha is missing out on a whole market by not offering upgrades or addons to these motorcycles at the time of sale instead of leaving it up to the dealership to swing the deals. 30 years ago tricking out your bike meant going to a metal fabricator and having customized parts made for it. But now, it seems guys want everything on it off the lot like a car package. Yamaha has always ignored this.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:01 PM

I agree. The parts are out there, but not always listed specifically for the 950. In this day and age of internet and ease of accessibility, we like it to pull up easily, but that is not the case for the 950.

For the 650, 1100, and even 1300 V Star, sure... But not so much with the 950. And some of it is a matter of doing some leg work on your own, measuring, etc and trying to figure it out. A lot of people seem to do the same things here because they are proven to work, but once you want to be a bit different, the road turns less traveled and you are more on your own...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 03:43 PM

Garage
Low and Mean out of Arizona carries a few aftermarket items for the 950's. You may want to check them out, just a suggestion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode