1100; Mustang Seat Break-In - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question 1100; Mustang Seat Break-In

Morning Folks;

I just dropped the cash for a Mustang Wide Vintage seat for my bike. I like the back support and riding position, but it feels a bit like sitting on a brick. It's been about a month since I installed it, and I ride almost every day (50 miles to work, there and back, plus other randoms). Being a 6'2" guy at a whomping 185lbs, I figure I'm not "too light" to break-in the seat.

Anyone know how long these seats usually take to break-in?

Thanks.

~Onyx

*typo in the title; I have a 1300. Need more coffee...

'07 V-Star 1300 (2015-Present)
'08 Boulevard C50 (2013-2015)

"LEEERROOOY JEEENKINS!"

Last edited by EndgameOnyx; 07-30-2015 at 08:51 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 08:37 AM

I had a Mustang on my 950 and rode it a little 1000 miles before selling it and it never got soft or "broke in". Felt the same the last day I rode on it as it did the first.

However, it was very comfortable from the start. Its a more complex seat than the original. I could feel that right away. The custom seat that I have on my Strat is the same. I always feels the same, even after 2 hours of riding. I never sink to the pan.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 10:50 AM

I have that same seat on my 1100. Now granted this is my first bike so I have nothing else to compare it to but for what they cost I'm not impressed with what I have. An hr or so and I'm good but beyond that 2nd hour my butt just starts to almost burn from the pain.
It was on the bike when I purchased it so not sure the age but I have put almost 5k on it. I'm on the top side of 250lbs and it's the same today as when I first sat on it.

2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
Completely debadged
Silverado windshield and passing lamps
Floorboard extensions
OE Highway bar with custom mounting brackets
Kuryakyn Dually ISO Highways pegs
Kuryakyn grips
Passenger floorboards
Barons Nasty Boy Slip-ons
Maxair pods
Mustang seats
Kuryakyn led headlight halo

Last edited by Summer; 07-30-2015 at 10:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 12:26 PM

I've never seen an 1100 in person not along sit on one, but I can tell from pictures that the seat looks a lot like the seat on a 950.

Foam gets more compressed as you ride and your body heat is absorbed and within a certain amount of time you will be very close to the pan itself. Once that happens, the comfort of the seat tubes because the back of you bum starts to press into that area where the curve of the pan is pronounced and you start sitting on a non-forgiving part of the seat system.

If you have the money, you can have someone rebuilt the seat with better quality foam. But my best guess is that if you're having issues with the Mustang, you may have issues with whatever you try. I don't believe I could have done anything better than the Mustang because of how the seat pan is shaped except maybe cutting a piece of it out right where your tailbone sits.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2015, 05:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwallick55 View Post
...if you're having issues with the Mustang, you may have issues with whatever you try.
After having the stock seat redone twice (different guys), Mustang, Corbin and now Ultimate, this was exactly my experience.

I am 6'0" and closer to 300#, so I have resigned myself to the fact that the seat attached to the motorcycle is not the issue.

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:32 AM

Garage
Took me a long time to break mine in. I've tried the ultimate seat and as far as I'm concerned they equal out. Give it more time. It will break in and you should enjoy it more.
My 2.573 cents worth

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 09:46 AM
eGo

The only issues I have with my Mustang seat are that it's not long enough.. I'm a big guy.. I'm 6'4" and well overweight. I sit deep in the seat.. If it could be like 3" longer than it is, I'd be set. Other than that, width and comfort on the bottom are great.

eGo
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 11:53 AM

Not the best solution, but you can grab one of those seat toppers/covers for it. Iike the gel pads. Kills the look of the mustang seat, so suggest one thats easy to remove when bike isnt in use.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 02:14 AM
SSC

It seems like no one can make a seat that fits just right. They say there is no break in period on seats I've asked since I've had a couple that did not work out to well. I would suggest emailing mustang see if you can get some ideas. One would think these places that get all this money for a product would support their product. I emailed Saddleman for my explorer seat did not get a response back maybe mustang will be better.

Side question not to hijack your thread... My biggest issue is support down low where the boys ride seems these seats even the mustang do not offer a cushion for the nether region. Any one else have this issue? And yes being very serious went from back pain with the stock seat to pain in this other area because these seats put my nuts on the damn tank.

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSC View Post
It seems like no one can make a seat that fits just right. They say there is no break in period on seats I've asked since I've had a couple that did not work out to well. I would suggest emailing mustang see if you can get some ideas. One would think these places that get all this money for a product would support their product. I emailed Saddleman for my explorer seat did not get a response back maybe mustang will be better.

Side question not to hijack your thread... My biggest issue is support down low where the boys ride seems these seats even the mustang do not offer a cushion for the nether region. Any one else have this issue? And yes being very serious went from back pain with the stock seat to pain in this other area because these seats put my nuts on the damn tank.

Ive not noticed any issues with the twig n berries on the mustang on my 650. However i'm a rather slender build(6'4" about 190lb) so i can slide down a good bit and still not be humping the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode