Electrical Idiot here - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Idiot here

So, I think I've pretty much figured out that the problem with my bike is not carbs but electrical. My other thread "Even the Mechanic is Stumped" explains the whole story. I'd like to test my coils, but I'm an electrical idiot. Can someone walk me through it? I've got an electrical ohm meter tester, but not sure exactly how and what settings I should be looking at. Any help would be appreciated as I've now lost over half my riding season.

Bear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 12:28 PM

Garage
Disconnect the battery. When measuring ohms there can be no power or you risk damage to yourself, bike, and or meter. Make sure that the pins are in the correct holes on the meter. Usually the black is in the bottom one (COM) and the red one should be in the middle. Turn the meter to the 1st ohm setting and then turn the meter on. Touch the probes to each other. (make sure you always keep your fingers behind the plastic and not on the probes) It should read 0. If not, move up to the next setting. Either way, for the primary it's usually the lowest setting. Touch the negative probe to the spade connector not in line with the spark wire on the coil and the positive to the spade connector that is in line with the spark wire on the coil. Take your reading. On VS650 it should be within 3.6-4.8. Then do the same thing but turn the dial up to 20k and touch the negative to the spark wire connector side and the positive to the inside of the spark wire to check the secondary. VS650 should read 10.1-15.1. Repeat on the other coil. Anybody want to chime in, please do.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-01-2015, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I would assume that it should be pretty close to the same for an 1100 then as well. At least that gives me a starting point, thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 05:34 PM Thread Starter

Not sure if I was supposed to leave them plugged in or not when I tested them. I unplugged the coils from the bike and the results I got are as follows:

Rear cylinder coil: test between leads with tester set at 200 = 8
test between lead and plug end with tester set at 200k = 22.5

Front cylinder coil test between leads with tester set at 200 = 7.5
test between lead and plug end with tester set at 200k = 21.8

Not sure if this helps or not.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 04:16 PM

Garage
I don't know what the factory settings are supposed to be for your bike. But the coils are supposed to be unplugged.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode