Fuelpak, Cobra Drags and Baron BAK on 1300 initial review - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes
  • 4 Post By CapoArgentino
  • 2 Post By CapoArgentino
  • 2 Post By rmccutchan
  • 2 Post By bevo1981
  • 2 Post By rmccutchan

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-31-2015, 07:12 PM Thread Starter

Fuelpak, Cobra Drags and Baron BAK on 1300 initial review

Hey guys, thought I share my thoughts on the Fuelpak combined with exhaust and intake.

My bike:
2014 Vstar 1300 Deluxe
Currently only 3,900mi

Performance mods:
Exhaust: Cobra Dragster 2-2 (Part# 2625)
Intake: Baron Big Air Kit w/ upgraded, thicker K&N filter (Part# K&N E-3333)
Fuel Computer: V&H Fuelpak

COBRA EXHAUST
First thing I did was install the exhaust and left everything else stock. For some reason I had to modify the crap out of the mounting bracket for the pipes to be parallel to each other. Also, the pipes are SHORTER than what the pictures on the internet show. Still, after the bracket work I was satisfied and I love the drag look, even though they rob the engine a bit of power because there is no cross-over. I was blown away with the sound. Sounded pissed off (In a bad ass way) and very loud as well. Minimal power loss and torque just shifted slightly up the RPM range but the bike ran excellent.

BARON's BAK
Second was the air intake. Now not only there's a annoying as hell and loud 'sssssssssss' air induction sound at idle, but power is gone. Exhaust now sounds crappy as hell too. I was however expecting the power loss and change of exhaust note at this point because the bike is running extra lean. But the intake sound? No good. I am currently in the process of fabricating a top cover for the intake as covering it with my hand reduces the 'sssssssssssss' sound roughly by half.

FUEL MANAGEMENT
So now to correct the lean condition and get that lost power back. As many of you might have done I did some research and here are my thoughts:

Cobra FI2000 - This unit to me looks like a cheap, simple circuit. I dont like how it only has 3, narrow adjusters, seemed like a bad option. Also other people that have it have reported that its build quality is very poor.

Cobra PwrPro Tuner - I was about to buy this one until I learned that the unit looses all it's settings when the bike is turned off. The unit basically re-learns from scratch everytime you crank the bike. This, for $400+ is to me unacceptable. The bike HAS to be ready to go every time you are.

Power Commander V - This is probably the best Fuel Computer you can get for any bike. It is a advanced and proven system and a true fully featured and customizeable fuel computer. However, you need to do dyno tuning with this unit. I didn't want this to turn into a $1000 ordeal with the unit's cost plus tuning costs, etc. and having to go to a tuner back and forth, etc. So skip this one as well.

Fuelpak from Vance & Hines - So here we have a not so popular (At least for metric bikes) fuel computer or modulator, as I like to call it. It ONLY connects between the 4-wire injector harness and taps into 1 cable coming from the TPS. No need to disconnect the O2 sensor, tap into it or other sensors. Extremely simple, hassle-less install. It does get it's + positive from the horn, not sure why they did this. The unit lets the OEM ECU still do 90% of the work. Also, it has multiple adjustability modes that you can change via a display and some buttons on the unit itself. This makes this unit run circles around the FI2000 with it's 3 knobs. Lastly, the build quality is superb. Unit feels solid and not cheap at all.

The problem: The Fuelpak website ONLY has settings for stock air intake and a few Vance and Hines exhausts for the 1300. I decided to get the unit anyway. I plugged in a setting for a 2-1 vance and hines exhaust and stock intake, the code was: FP-1108

The bike ran almost as good as with the stock intake on it. Got the power back but still was lean as hell because of the Baron BAK. This intake kit is virtually unrestricted. The only serious issue was a big hesitation when cracking open the throttle after a gear shift but only sometimes. Still this was no good. So I noticed on the Fuelpak website settings for a 950 with a high-flow intake and cobra dragsters. I took those settings and upped the values here and there and the bike runs very well now, zero hesitation. Definite improvement in power, I don't feel like full throttle while being leaned over is safe anymore. I still need to tweak some more but im very close to perfection here. Tuning with a 2-2 exhaust is difficult too. Overall I am satisfied with this solution. I will be posting my custom settings soon, pics as well.

Other things to consider:
The Fuelpak is listed ONLY for 1300s 2007-2008. However I found that the connectors are exactly the same for my 2014 so no modifications necessary, still plug and play.

For those worried about popping on deceleration, I have ZERO popping with this unit. I only get 1-2 quick pops if im full throttle and then abruptly shut it. This is normal and should happen even 100% stock.

Check Engine Light. I got one. The instructions advise you to have your main switch turned off during the install or else you WILL get a check engine light. I followed the instructions but still got one. It is CODE 39. Now I only found the 2007 service manual and there is no code 39. I searched and it appears to be a open injector 'warning' and not a real diag code. I know this because when I put the bike in Diag mode it shows 00 codes in memory. The bike runs great tho, so I dont think its affecting anything. Still I dont want the light on so I am doing some tinkering to see how I get it to turn off.

Hope this helps someone in there decision to mod their 1300. Feel free to ask questions.

Last edited by CapoArgentino; 07-31-2015 at 07:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-06-2015, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE ON CHECK ENGINE LIGHT

Disconnecting the Fuelpak makes the CEL disappear. Reconnect it and it's there again. I will be giving the Power Commander V (PCV) a try now since this particular Fuelpak model for our 1300 has been long discontinued I learned. I wouldn't want to use a product that really has no more support/further updates so I will be spending $100 more and getting the best now. I still think the Fuelpak is a excellent option but not with a CEL on.

So the Fuelpak is off the bike now so I wrapped a leather belt around the Baron intake to cover up most of the filter (Im guessing it covered around 85% of it) so that the bike doesnt run like crap. It did the trick and doesnt even look as bad, will post some pics later. Also, the bike runs very good, similar to the having the stock intake but its a waste of the Baron kit and thats why im still getting the PCV.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Update:

Got the PCV installed w/ Autotune. Removed the belt off the Baron's intake and all is great now. The autotune was well worth spending the extra $200 to get instead of spending hundreds more on a custom tune and then having to repeat this if you change any other parts in the future. I will be posting a new thread with my custom map for my mods.

2014 XVS1300 Deluxe

Mods:
-Carlini 18" Gangster Apes, custom build
-Venhill Custom brake (Race setup), throttle, clutch lines
-Samson Shogun Warlord 2-2 full exhaust
-Cobra Fatty 1-1/2 inch Freeway bars
-Kuryakyn Velociraptor intake kit
-Dynojet Power Commander V w/Autotune (Tuned by Mickey Cohen)
-Kuryakyn Run-Turn-Brake kit
-Custom Dynamics rear turn signal red LED clusters

STAR Accessories:
-Full, fixed sissy bar
-Billet frame inserts
-Tri-bar passing lamps w/Star visors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 05:39 PM

I've had the fuelpak for a few years and it works great. Vance and Hines has a number you can call and talk to a technician and they will tell you what numbers to change. I had the same hesitation as you and they had me change a couple of numbers. Now it runs great. I also have the same annoying hiss with the BAK. I would love to get rid of that noise.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoArgentino View Post
Update:

Got the PCV installed w/ Autotune.
what happened with the V&H fuelpak?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccutchan View Post
I've had the fuelpak for a few years and it works great. Vance and Hines has a number you can call and talk to a technician and they will tell you what numbers to change. I had the same hesitation as you and they had me change a couple of numbers. Now it runs great. I also have the same annoying hiss with the BAK. I would love to get rid of that noise.
Yeah they are very helpful.
The only way to get rid of that hiss on the BAK is to get a different intake unfortunately. I actually just did that and have the BAK up for sale.

2014 XVS1300 Deluxe

Mods:

STAR Accessories:
-Full, fixed sissy bar
-Billet frame inserts
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 01:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
what happened with the V&H fuelpak?

It was deemed defective by V&H so it was junked and I received a credit for it.

2014 XVS1300 Deluxe

Mods:

STAR Accessories:
-Full, fixed sissy bar
-Billet frame inserts
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapoArgentino View Post
Yeah they are very helpful.
The only way to get rid of that hiss on the BAK is to get a different intake unfortunately. I actually just did that and have the BAK up for sale.
What intake did you get?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Late reply, but I got the Kuryakyn Velociraptor intake which has been excellent so far.

2014 XVS1300 Deluxe

Mods:

STAR Accessories:
-Full, fixed sissy bar
-Billet frame inserts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode