950 saddle bag latch problems - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-04-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

950 saddle bag latch problems

Kinda embarrassed to say I had a bit of a problem with the latches on my 950T saddlebags.
The embarrassing part is that I had trouble with one 2 weeks ago and then the other one last weekend.
My right saddlebag came open as I was going down the highway. I lost my Road Toad rain pants. Found out the button of the latch wasn't coming back out/up like it use to. I rode in some rain a few days prior, but I've certainly done that before. I think the difference is that bike was dusty-dirty this time and the rain 'washed' the dust down into the button assembly.
So I oiled the latch with a bit of WD40 (HAVE to use the spray straw). I had to use the key turned just a bit to PULL the button up so I could work the assembly free.
I have no idea why I didn't do them both... but... this past weekend the left bag came open when I hit a bump. I lost a map. It was an old map, but it had some nice roads highlighted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 12:56 PM

You're not alone. I've done the same thing on both my 950 and Stratoliner. I had a bag full of extra gloves in my bags on the 950 and lost them when the lock failed.

Living here in Florida, my bike gets rained on a lot and the indentation of that lock mechanism is always filled up with water. This causes the same issue you described. WD-40 is good for displacing the water, but not so much for lubrication. I spray the WD-40 into the lock and then let the lid in the open position to let everything drain out. If its a damp day, I get my wife's hair dryer out and heat it up while upside down. Once it's dry, I use this liquid graphite stuff (made for locks) that I bought some time ago and lube up the lock. They don't stick anymore, but I got to do it a couple of times a year.

This is definitely one of those things that weren't thought out very well on Yamaha's part. I like that the bags open out, but not really thrilled where they lock.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 02:05 PM

The lock on my bags began to stick as well, so I immediately grabbed for the WD40 and some lubrication, and yes this was after riding through a long rain storm Haven't had an issue yet, though seeing this I may just do it once in a while to be sure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 04:36 AM

I would recommend liquid wrench dry lube over WD40. The wd does a great job of freeing a stuck or rusted part, but the mineral oil tends to attract dust. The dry lube is a Teflon base marine lube. It won't attract dust and resists moisture. I use it in my auto shop all the time.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2015, 06:46 AM

Maybe it would be worth while to add that task as one to perform every time you routinely change the oil and lubricate other stuff on the bike. Other key locks, like the ignition, fork lock, helmet lock (if you can get to it), also get exposed to rain and dust.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 04:32 PM

My latches both failed on press botton nothing the other would not stay latched and the tab was going back out. had these problems since new but ride in rain all the time.
so im redoing the latches using locking hood pins
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-19-2015, 04:37 PM

Here is my progress so far
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1440020160965.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	47522   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1440020171486.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	47530   Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1440020187133.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	47538  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode