V-Star Stator/pickup coil help - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-05-2015, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

V-Star Stator/pickup coil help

I recently bought my first bike, a 2006 VStar 650 Midnight custom. Really like the bike but already have an issue. The bike has 12k miles but won't start. I've read a lot and have narrowed it down to the pickup coil or CDI but I am a little shakey on electric stuff and multimeters. The book said that the pickup coil should ready 182-222 ohms, my meter is a craftsman automatic and when I hook it up I am getting a constant fluctuation from 1.330 down to .999 Mohms. With all that said is when I turn off the automatic setting and change the reading levels I get 01.90 to 02.80 Mohms and no readings on the 000.0 Mohms setting and no readings on any K setting. I am thinking the fact that the ohm meter never settles is an indication of a bad pickup coil but could use a little advise, any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:26 PM

What were the symptoms you had for it not starting? I'm having a similar issue and also trying to narrow down what the problem is.

A few weeks back my 2007 1100 wouldn't start (just a buzzing noise, no engine response) so I replaced the battery. After that the bike started great but later when out riding it stalled 3 times when slowing to a stop... but after pulling over and sitting for a few minutes it would fire up again no problem. Now when I try to start it the engine just won't crank/fire...like maybe a fuel or spark issues.. Is this similar to your problems?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 12:08 PM

Garage
I have the same problem with my multi-tester. It thought it was me or because it was cheap version. I also have the issue of no spark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-10-2015, 04:18 PM

Garage
Solved my problem with the multimeter. Not getting a good connection. I end up taking the probe and poking through the wire itself (barely poking through) and I got a good read without fluctuation.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-14-2015, 08:56 PM

Was the reading you got in spec?

If not replacing the PU coil is not too difficult, I've done it numerous times, twice on my own bike. You will need a bike jack or poor mans lift out of a few boards as the kickstand needs to come off and it does help to have a torch to get the PU and stator screws out, without heat the lock tight they use can break the castings.

http://ziariderblog.com/2010/10/v-st...r-replacement/
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2015, 10:42 PM

Garage
It's better to take a pair of vice grip to the screws. I had a hard time even with a torch, plus you take a chance of burning the wires and warping aluminum. VG on the sides and they were out in 5 minutes.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 11:15 PM

> VG on the sides and they were out in 5 minutes.

If you didnt heat em up first you got lucky, I know several who have broken their cover using vicegrips on those screws then its another 200 bucks for a new one if you can't find one on ebay. Big chunks of aluminum break off so it can't be helicoiled.

I didn't have a torch or heat gun when I did the first one and also tried VG, I got lucky and only broke the screw off and not the casting. I had to take it to someone with a torch to hit em with some heat to get the others out. On others I've done I've just used a heat gun and that works fine.

I wonder what they use on those screws, it is seriously strong stuff!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:37 AM

Garage
I watched my bike mechanic do it with VGs when the torch didn't work for me. I've seen the VG method a couple of times on stubborn or head-stripped screws and they always take their time when doing it. Maybe a combo of torch and VG is the best method.

Last edited by motohead; 08-27-2015 at 07:41 AM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode