2007 1100 Custom Won't Start - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-08-2015, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

2007 1100 Custom Won't Start

I'm having troubles getting my 1100 custom to start... it was about 12,000 km on it (7500 miles). I'll give some background, symptoms now. Sorry, may be a bit long...

About 2 weeks ago I discovered my bike wouldn't start, but seemed to be a battery problem because it wouldn't even turn over and just buzz at me. Used a voltmeter to diagnose, battery was toast but current was ok when idling (13+ volts). I replaced the battery and bike started up no problem. Later, when out riding, the bike stalled on me 3 times when slowing to a stop. Each time it stalled, I'd re-check the battery connections and the bike would fire up no problem... Gas was a little low so I filled it up and the next time I rode I didn't have any problems.. I figured I just didn't do a great job reconnecting the terminals on the battery and I was just running a little too low on fuel (I put 14L in when I filled up, didn't have the tank set to the reserve).

So this morning now the bike started up great, but was idling lower than normal (full choke). When I dropped the choke down (slowly) it stalled after a few seconds, and now when trying to start it won't crank over/ignite. It just sort of 'chugs'...I also noticed that when turning the key and before hitting the ignition I don't hear the 'ticking' for as long as it used too.. (fuel pump?)

Doing a bit of research it seems to me that it might be the spark plugs, dirty carbs, fuel pump, or maybe pickup coil (saw in another thread) ? I live in an apartment building that is very strict on vehicle maintenance in the parking so I might be looking at having to get it towed to a shop....

Any ideas? I don't think the two starting issues are related, but just merely a coincidence after changing the battery.

Last edited by mdowningvstar; 08-08-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2015, 09:18 AM

This sounds kind of like fuel starvation. The "rapid ticking" you usually hear after you turn it on but before it starts is indeed the fuel pump. Or it should be. Based on what you're saying, my first guess would be a gummed up jet or other interior line in your carburetor. You could try getting some carb cleaner (SeaFoam is quite popular) and running that into your engine in a mix with fuel. It'll smoke like hell, but if you can get the engine to run some of that through it, you can likely clear it out.

If that doesn't work, check your fuel filters. I know there are a few of them in the total fuel line, but I don't know all of the details, as my system was never stock while I owned it.

If that's not it, you might be looking at a carb rebuild, which isn't difficult, but it is somewhat involved and time-consuming. That being said, if you can get your carb OUT, you can do all the actual work on it indoors. You can also try bypassing your fuel pump completely, it MIGHT not be providing enough pressure, but if you bypass it then you're counting on the weight of the fuel in the tank to push itself through the lines into the bowl in the carb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode