Help with vstar ape bars - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Help with vstar ape bars

Hi guys so basically im in the market for some new ape bars for my 650 i currently have 12" mini apes and want to upgrade to 16" apes. The problem im having is an understanding of the size needed to fit my bike. Im seeing 16" apes in 1 1/4" , 1 1/2" , 1" and am not sure if they will fit. My understanding is it dosnt matter what size they are aslong as its an 1" at the clamps and grips for the controls, can someone help me out eith this and give me an answer as to what sizes will fot my xvs650 thanks guys..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxi View Post
Hi guys so basically im in the market for some new ape bars for my 650 i currently have 12" mini apes and want to upgrade to 16" apes. The problem im having is an understanding of the size needed to fit my bike. Im seeing 16" apes in 1 1/4" , 1 1/2" , 1" and am not sure if they will fit. My understanding is it dosnt matter what size they are aslong as its an 1" at the clamps and grips for the controls, can someone help me out eith this and give me an answer as to what sizes will fot my xvs650 thanks guys..
it definitely matters what size you order. the 650 uses one inch so you need one inch bars ,unless your changing risers and grips to a larger size. when you see bar sizes it's the size of the entire bar.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 01-25-2016 at 10:23 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Garage
I have Barons 16" Kong bars on my Roadstar and love them. They are 1&1/4" tubing and stepped down to 1" at the grip and riser. They also make them specifically for your bike. I like the bigger tubing and think the 1" apes look too skinny. If you buy bars not specifically for your bike, you just need to make sure the riser spacing will work especially if you go with a bigger tubing. Good luck.

https://www.baronscustom.com/catalog...761/index.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Garage
i didn't know there were step down bars out there, if i can find them a little cheaper than $200 i just might do the swap. i can see how getting the riser spacing wrong would make the bars look bad or not mount at all. also the tapered length at the grips would need to be long enough for the clutch perch and the brake master cylinder not just the grips. so measuring is critical before you buy.

Last edited by pauli466; 01-25-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2016, 01:35 PM

Garage
Most but not all thicker tube bars are stepped to 1" to allow for grips and risers as well as being long enough to accommodate controls.
I would look to see it the fitment includes your bike and confirm all the dimensions.

These are a little cheaper

Drag Specialties 16 In. Ape Hanger Handlebar (Chrome) (1.25 in. Diameter) (10 In. Pull Back)- Yamaha V-Star/ Royal Star/ Road Star
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode