Intermittent Problem With Hot Motorcycle - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

Intermittent Problem With Hot Motorcycle

2003 V-Star Classic. Occasionally, after a ride, I am unable to restart the bike. When the ignition key is turned, the bike is completely dead...no lights, nothing! The battery is new and all fuses are O.K! I wait 15-20 minutes until the bike cools off and the bike starts perfectly. In looking at the wiring diagram, the ignition switch could be a problem? Has anyone heard of a temperature related problem with the Yamaha ignition switch? Or am I missing some other issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 08:56 AM

Garage
Lets start off with which Vstar you have? Now a few questions, have you checked the starter? Is it hot to the touch? What about the ingnition switch? I'm thinking that heat is expanding a loose connection or a corroded wire. You should get the bike nice and warm and play with the wiring that you can see to see if you can find the problem child. You may have to take your tank off and inspect the wiring there also. I know this isn't much but it's a start.

whenever you do find the issue, please post it on here so that others can use the knowledge if they have a same fun.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:09 AM

Depending on which bike you have....if it's an 1100...I's start by cleaning the negative battery cable where it attaches under the frame, as well as the other battery connections.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Thank you both for the quick feedback. The bike is a 650 cc. I will try your suggestions and report on the results.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 07:31 PM

Garage
try tapping the main relay under the right side cover next to the battery. its a semi common issue on the 650

ISRA #4642
98 VStar 650 Classic
Ignant is Bliss
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

BigBuddha76, Thanks for the reply. According to the Clymer manual for the 650, the relay unit consists of the fuel pump relay, starting circuit cut-off relay, ignition diode and the starting system diode. For my intermittent problem, I don't even get lights when I turn the key. Based on my limited knowledge of the motorcycle's electrical system, it does not seem that a bad relay unit would prevent the lights from turning on? However, I will take your advice and try tapping the relay unit.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-31-2016, 01:55 PM

have a ground accessory wire attached to the negative battery terminal, always taking it on and off once when i went to start when i hit the button i'd heard a loud pop and the lights went out waited 10 seconds and everything came back on, turned out the neg. screw was dirty. i could look at the terminal and hit the start button and see the arc. fwiw...
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Progress so Far

As suggested, I removed and cleaned all the positive and negative battery connections. I tried to clean the frame ground, but on the 2003 V-Star 650, the ground is hidden behind a panel on the right side of the motorcycle. To remove the panel, you have to remove both the front and rear exhausts and the brake pedal/footpeg assembly.

One of the benefits of knowing your limitations is that you know when to stop.

Therefore, I did not get to clean and reconnect the frame ground. However, if the intermittent problem arises again, I have a suitable portable cable to attach in an emergency as a temporary frame ground. If it is definitely a defective frame ground, this temporary fix, will confirm that fact. Then I will take the bike to a shop to permanently fix the defective frame ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode