New Seat. What do you recommend? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:13 PM Thread Starter

New Seat. What do you recommend?

Hi everyone. I have a 2003 V Star 1100 Silverado and my stock seat is killing my @ss and my passenger complains about the back seat. I really need something more comfortable and maybe with a driver back rest, but that's not a deal breaker. So, what do ya'll recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 12:54 PM

New Seat

I've owned multiple seats. Mustang, Ultimate and Travelcade are the main brands. Recently purchased an 08 Roadliner and the first thing I bought (off this forum) was Ultimate seats W/driver backrest. I'm a big guy and the stocks seats have never worked out, especially on long trips. There should be some good deals available on Ebay or various forums on a set of good used seats for your ride. That's my experience for what it's worth. Good Luck.

P.S Passenger floorboards also make a big difference in comfort if you don't already have them.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

I put on the floorboards. That does help, but still need a seat. What about a gel pad? Have you tried one of those?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:11 PM

I have a stock seat with memory foam and gel pad covered in alligator skin. I would do it again in a heartbeat.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:25 PM

New Seat

I had a Mustang seat on my Valkyrie and it just seemed too hard. Took a 1200 mile trip to a rally in New Mexico and tried a gel pad on the way back. It helped but still wasn't comfortable enough for me.

I know aftermarket seats are expensive. There's a couple places that you can send your stock seats to have them redone at a lower cost. I've heard some good results. I think one company is called Pacific Coast? I'm sure there's riders on this forum who know more about that than I do. Hopefully, someone can give you the information.

Also, check in your area to see if any local upholsterers have experience doing motorcycle seats. I know it's common to add a layer of memory foam or even a gel insert.
Freedom and Freedom like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Where did you get that done?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:42 PM

I'm in the market for a new seat also. I'm very seriously considering the Ultimate seat for two reasons - it fits just like the stock seat with no adjustments [at least for the 950s], and it comes highly recommended. The price is $540 for the solo seat with backrest [no studs]. Another option that I've heard that's less expensive is the Airhawk seat pad. I considered that but I want a more permanent solution, and should the Ultimate seat not work then maybe I'll look at an Airhawk.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 03:48 PM

Garage
some riders use a removable sheep skin cover just for the longer rides, but for me i'm installing a gel pad under the upholstery, my iron but only get's sore after 200 miles on the 650.. i'v heard the 950s have real bad seats

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-04-2016, 07:45 PM

Garage
I like my mustang seat. It was kinda of hard at first but it got better as the miles rolled by. I'm looking at an Ultimate for my Strat when I get the coins saved up for it.

2009 Stratoliner S

A few things added and more stuff to follow

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:19 AM

Good morning guys---

Just a reminder, with Ultimate Seats, you've got 14 days from delivery/installation to make sure that you love the seat. If you don't, give us a call and let us know it's coming back. It's that easy. We don't stick you with a purchase that you aren't happy with.

Best,

Dave
Stose85 and Stose85 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode