Question for Vance & Hines owners - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Sick Mick

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Question for Vance & Hines owners

I'm looking for a new exhuast and I am seriously thinking of buy the Vance & Hines short pipes for my 04 xvs 650 custom. I want to ask those of you that own those pipes already or those that have swapped out there exhuast from headers on back.

My question is that when you remove the stock exhuast and replace it with an aftermarket exhuast, headers and all. What kind of adjustments do you need to make to the fuel to air ratio on the carbs. I want the Vance & Hines short pipes but don't want to have to make a lot of adjustments to the carbs. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 08:28 PM

Garage
Hello there. I swapped my stock exhaust and put V&H pipes on my 650 Classic and have some comments I can share (sorry, not specifically for the ones you are looking at though, but I hope you find them helpful.

1. Putting in the new pipes was very easy. Just battling a bit with aligning the holes to put in the screws, but nothing that was complicated just required some care.
2. I did NOT rejet my bike. It does run hotter and I can see the pipes (especially the back one) very blue. I was warned that if I did not rejet my carbs this would happen. I still want to rejet them, but am looking for a local mechanic to help as I hate the idea of buying the kit for $80 and then throwing everything away except for like a $5 piece.
3. Vibration on the bike increases A LOT. I have found screws almost falling out so periodically I have to go over the screws to ensure all are tight and in place. I imagine if you get the short pipes, you might even have more vibration, but not sure on that one.
4. Sound is enchanting! Sounds sweet. Not a Harley, just it's own special, robust deep roar.

Hope this was helpful. If I can help in any other way, please do reach out.

Serge

Sergio V

'97 Toyota Land Cruiser
'05 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
Vance & Hines Exhaust
'05 Yamaha Roadstar 1700
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge01 View Post
Hello there. I swapped my stock exhaust and put V&H pipes on my 650 Classic and have some comments I can share (sorry, not specifically for the ones you are looking at though, but I hope you find them helpful.

1. Putting in the new pipes was very easy. Just battling a bit with aligning the holes to put in the screws, but nothing that was complicated just required some care.
2. I did NOT rejet my bike. It does run hotter and I can see the pipes (especially the back one) very blue. I was warned that if I did not rejet my carbs this would happen. I still want to rejet them, but am looking for a local mechanic to help as I hate the idea of buying the kit for $80 and then throwing everything away except for like a $5 piece.
3. Vibration on the bike increases A LOT. I have found screws almost falling out so periodically I have to go over the screws to ensure all are tight and in place. I imagine if you get the short pipes, you might even have more vibration, but not sure on that one.
4. Sound is enchanting! Sounds sweet. Not a Harley, just it's own special, robust deep roar.

Hope this was helpful. If I can help in any other way, please do reach out.

Serge
Thanks, I wasn't told it would run hot. Just told it would backfire when getting off the gas completely. I could reject the carbs but I've had to tear the carbs apart before and really don't want to go through that again lol. Which V & H pipes did you buy. I only wanted the short shots because I have bigger saddle bags on my bike and right now they sometimes sit on top of the exhuast. I'm still debating whether to get smaller saddle bags and run a 3" muffle tip for that deep throught sound or stay the the short shots and get that loud power sound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Any time you make a change to the intake or exhaust, you need to make changes to fuel delivery. Deciding not to because it's kind of hard or kind of expensive is really not an option. It's a part of the job. Half ass is half ass, no way around it. Why not just do it right and have something you can be proud of? It'll save you one hell of a lot of pain and aggravation down the road....that is a 100% guarantee.
BigBuddha76 and BigBuddha76 like this.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2016, 03:07 PM

I don't think changing exhaust on a 650 is gona need rejeting

Also, IMO the short shots sound a bit balls on the 650, see if you can get something custom made that they can give more depth... Shorties are super loud, but the engine is too small, makes it high pitched and they rev hard anyway, which makes it sound even higher... Just MO, probably rustle some jimmies with it, but derp

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited by macstar; 02-06-2016 at 03:09 PM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2016, 12:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04xvs650cus View Post
Thanks, I wasn't told it would run hot. Just told it would backfire when getting off the gas completely.
I know it is a totally different bike, but on my 2003 Yamaha FZ1 I swapped out the stock Exhaust for a full Yoshimura System, Headers and Pipe. The Backfire sounds when off the gas is enchanting, I just love it.

I also did not re-jet my Carbs and the bike runs great. I am sure I could squeeze a bit more HP out of the motor if I picked up a Jetting Kit, but I really don't care, I just wanted the better sound. The stock exhaust sounded like the Jetsons Flying Car.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-09-2016, 05:00 AM

I put the cruzers pipes on my bike and had to get it rejetted. didn't run right lots of popping when i was cruising at 80 km/hr. I took it right to the my dealer and the bike works great now. only cost me 50 bucks.

2016 FZ 07

2004 V Star 650 Classic (SOLD)
Vance and Hines Cruzers
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 01:19 AM

I have v&h short pipes on my 650 custom.. i did not rejet or do anything other then put them on. Does not backgire but as the above said does get very hot and pipes did go blueish color. On a 650 it has a nice note when idling and at low speeds but as soon as you have them revs up sounds a bit like puss in my opinion. SWIM has Cobras and at a cruising speed sounds alot better in my opinion.. Each to their own but
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2016, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizza View Post
I have v&h short pipes on my 650 custom.. i did not rejet or do anything other then put them on. Does not backgire but as the above said does get very hot and pipes did go blueish color. On a 650 it has a nice note when idling and at low speeds but as soon as you have them revs up sounds a bit like puss in my opinion. SWIM has Cobras and at a cruising speed sounds alot better in my opinion.. Each to their own but
I had BUB long shots and no rejetting. As far a the BUBs go, I think they are the best sounding pipe on the 650. I personally don't like the sound of Cobra and V&H
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode