bike only idles... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

bike only idles...

took my 99 v star 1100 out here and there and its ran like a champ... so i took it out, got about 45 mins away and it starts breaking up, popping, and i have to hold the throttle to keep it running, its boggy so i have like half the power, then it clears up for about 2mins and repeats... but it keeps getting worse and worse, i manage to limp it home. shut it off and let it cool down. i then pop the gas cap, and shine a flashlight on the gas... its kinda cloudy... so i then drain the tank and not only is the glass cloudy theres a ton of garbage in the bottom of the tank... so i pull the tank and clean the sludge out... drain the carbs, put new gas in.... takes forever to get running again but still runs like crap and it will only ide.... on choke itll obviously rev up some but pops and isnt happy, choke off idles ok... touch the throttle it stalls.... any help will be greatly appreciated as im a dirtbike atv guy and this is my 1st street bike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-25-2016, 08:34 PM

Time to take the carbs off and clean them out. My guess is that your main jets are plugged......and who knows what else...

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 03:21 PM

And

With all the time you are spending, put a new fuel filter in as well.
Take the fuel filter to O'rileys and they can sell you a generic for about half of a Dealer price. It slides easily into the filter holder on the frame under the Tank on the left side.
MicroGard 33033 - Universal In-Line Fuel Filter | O'Reilly Auto Parts

I have 55k on my 650 and on my 3rd filter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode