Exhaust baffle recommendations - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By nick57
  • 2 Post By pauli466

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhaust baffle recommendations

I'll be brief!

V-star 650 with stock air, stock carbs and unbaffled Cobra Drag Pipes (as I bought it): exhaust noise and timbre "within the realm of reason". I could conduct a conversation in my garage without shouting, for example.

After a GAK kit and carb mods (shimmed needles, 91->127.5 main jets): so staggeringly loud that it's impossible to speak inside the garage without shouting. The timbre is unpleasant, best described as "high, percussive and metallic", like a giant set of trip hammers beating on a hollow aluminum cylinder over and over.

But the idle doesn't really bother me so much since I don't idle my bike to impress people; the real issue is that once you get past around 1/2 throttle, the thing really gets going and sounds like a nitromethane funny car, just one long ripping explosion that can be heard all the way on the other side of town if I'm not careful. My buddy's opinion: "As loud as a Harley with straights, but more ripping instead of rumbling." If there's police and pedestrians about, I have no choice but to lug the thing in 5th gear as quickly as possible right out of my driveway until I get out of town and can safely open her up.

In short: I'm looking for some kind of a screw-in removable solution in place of the lollipops that I can use when I'm just puttering around town. If it'll require rejetting, that's obviously a no-go. I already tried lollipops made from thumbscrews, which help a lot with low-end torque but virtually zero with noise.

Last edited by Arnold_Kupferkopf; 03-01-2016 at 04:54 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 05:27 PM

if my attachment works. its a picture of aftermarket quiet baffles for cobra longs.i cut the round end off and drilled a 3/4 hole thru the two restrictor plates. then stuffed a stainless scouring pad in the front chamber it cut the decibels about 25% i hav'nt ridden it yet more than around the neighborhood but i don't expect and carb issues. the sound changed a little kinda muted.it was the only option i could find not having a welder... the steel wool is a past modification ignore please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0228.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	55778  
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-01-2016, 08:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
if my attachment works. its a picture of aftermarket quiet baffles for cobra longs.i cut the round end off and drilled a 3/4 hole thru the two restrictor plates. then stuffed a stainless scouring pad in the front chamber it cut the decibels about 25% i hav'nt ridden it yet more than around the neighborhood but i don't expect and carb issues. the sound changed a little kinda muted.it was the only option i could find not having a welder... the steel wool is a past modification ignore please.
small diameter pipes don't have room for the exhaust gasses to expand so they crack like fire crackers, baffles will quiet it somewhat but only larger diameter pipes will lower the pitch. i removed just the final baffles on my stock mufflers and cut the final pipe to the next baffle and ther'e pretty close to cobra slip ons just a little more throaty which i like.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 03-01-2016 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode