Am I riding too much? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Am I riding too much?

Looks like I can now post in this V-Star specific forum, so reposting my question which I just posted in New Member introductions (which I doubt anyone looks at).

Admin: Please feel free to delete my post in New Member Introductions if needed. I was unable to post in this forum until now.

I use my bike (2014 V-Star 650 Custom) for commute on a daily basis. That's a 17 mile one way ride (10 on highway, 7 in stop-and-go traffic). So around 35 miles round trip, 50% highway, 50% stop-and-go. And that's 5 days a week, all weeks of the year pretty much.

Question: Am I riding too much in terms of miles? Given this amount of riding, is it okay for me to stick to the maintenance schedule mentioned in owner's manual (I have done 2 services so far per the schedule)? Or should I be doing them more frequently?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:06 PM

Garage
Thumbs up NO

I don't think that it is possible to ride too much,,,, Just follow the manual as it is based on time and or mileage
and you will be fine and good to go. And welcome to the forum.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by farmalldanzil View Post
I don't think that it is possible to ride too much,,,, Just follow the manual as it is based on time and or mileage
and you will be fine and good to go. And welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your reply. The reason I was a bit concerned, is that I feel I might be causing more wear and tear than is 'usual'. A week ago, I started hearing some rattling sound in lower gears. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a just a screw near the exhaust pipes that got loose and got lodged between the dual exhaust pipes. Now I am worried what else might be loose and how do I ensure all nuts and bolts are tightened up and not loose because of vibrations?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikhanshu View Post
Thanks for your reply. The reason I was a bit concerned, is that I feel I might be causing more wear and tear than is 'usual'. A week ago, I started hearing some rattling sound in lower gears. Upon closer inspection, it turned out to be a just a screw near the exhaust pipes that got loose and got lodged between the dual exhaust pipes. Now I am worried what else might be loose and how do I ensure all nuts and bolts are tightened up and not loose because of vibrations?!
Welcome and riding too much is almost impossible. I usually check bolts when I clean the bike which is about every two weeks for me. Check the obvious exhaust nuts and do a once over. Anything I find loose I use blue loctite. Remember this is a vibrating machine and its normal.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaycasaym View Post
Welcome and riding too much is almost impossible. I usually check bolts when I clean the bike which is about every two weeks for me. Check the obvious exhaust nuts and do a once over. Anything I find loose I use blue loctite. Remember this is a vibrating machine and its normal.
Thanks for putting me at ease and telling me about loctites! Will surely spend some time this weekend. Glad I joined this forum.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:07 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikhanshu View Post
Thanks for putting me at ease and telling me about loctites! Will surely spend some time this weekend. Glad I joined this forum.
Just make sure you only use the blue and not the red loctite.
lesblank and lesblank like this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 07:27 PM

Garage
the only part i'v ever had to replace was the pickup coil in over 50,000 miles. most things the manual says to service i just check and their always fine, like swingarm bearings, steering head bearings. i never had to pull things apart to repack them with grease, as per the manual.. wheel bearings i check a few times a year because i had a bad experience years ago. i do my own inspections because i worked at dealerships and know what goes on sometimes. even my clutch works perfectly,after 16 years so you got no worries. if you ride it the wet a lot keep all the pivot points lubed . brake linkage, kickstand, levers cables board or peg hinges and things of that nature

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 03-02-2016 at 07:34 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-02-2016, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
i do my own inspections because i worked at dealerships and know what goes on sometimes.
what goes on sometimes?

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 09:50 AM

What is this 'riding too much' you speak of? I don't understand...

I do the same as you with the commute, almost exact actually, no issues.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 03-03-2016, 01:56 PM

Welcome, and yeah just ride it. It's good idea to go over the whole bike from time to time to make sure all is tight as it should be. I always do a walk down to the bike before each ride. Just walk around and put hands on the things that could work there way loose. Kinda like walkin down an airplane before taking it up. Just gives me peace of mind, especially since most of my riding is 2up. Good luck. And no, ya can't ride it too much! For me, it's not enough.
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Sonysnek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode