Just did oil change almost like clutch slips now - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 25Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Just did oil change almost like clutch slips now

I'm feeling like I went nuts lol. Can't tell when the last oil change was done. Or what oil was used on top of it.

I just changed the neutral safety switch because it was leaking today. I also changed the oil with a Yamaha one.

I ended up running rotella conventional oil 15-40. I dumped in 3 qts and took it around the block. My clutch never sipped before and it grabbed normal. So it rips fine in all the gears maybe a little better. However in decel it doesn't feel like it has the same back pressure or the clutch is slipping now. Maybe I'm crazy lol. Does this sound insane?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-19-2016, 10:07 PM

Rotella T conventional is jaso MA rated, so that's not going to cause your clutch to slip... shift into a high gear at low speed then grab full throttle. You'll find out if your clutch is slipping, quick...

Sent from my Blackberry Priv using Tapatalk
98vstar and 98vstar like this.
post #3 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 02:55 AM

Your bike has a wet clutch, a heavy duty diesel most certainly does not.

I would dare to say that this is the primary reason why we are using motorcycle specific oils in our bikes, not plain motor oil.

Go get a proper oil with the correct additives for wet clutches and drain that heavy duty diesel oil asap.

That said... The rotella t probably won't damage your engine and should be safe to run but it is definitively causing your clutch issues.
bevo1981 and bevo1981 like this.

Last edited by mfredar; 03-20-2016 at 02:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredar View Post

I would dare to say that this is the primary reason why we are using motorcycle specific oils in our bikes, not plain motor oil.

Go get a proper oil with the correct additives for wet clutches and drain that heavy duty diesel oil asap.

That said... The rotella t probably won't damage your engine and should be safe to run but it is definitively causing your clutch issues.

The main issue with using non motorcycle oils is that automotive oils have modifiers (zinc) that are good for engines and bad for wet clutches on motorcycles. This is also true for synthetic oils.

Rotella T does not contain the modifiers.

I use it with no issues on clutch slip.

Clutch slip is easy to check for: full throttle in high gear during your bikes powerband. If you hear (or see) bikes rpm increasing significantly faster than speed, then you clutch is slipping.

Clutch slip is progressive, so you would first notice it at top gear with two up riding. Continued riding will eventually cause you to notice with one up top gear riding. Eventually, you will notice the same down a gear, and then during hard acceleration through your gears.

The wrong type of oil causes clutch slip without the progressive aspect. You will notice clutch slip accelerating through the gears within 50 to 100 miles of the oil change. According to my reading, switching to non modified oil will eventually wash out enough of the zinc to allow the wet clutch to work well again.

On the topic of "feels like less decel breaking after the oil change", my only comment is that decel braking is a relative thing. On my bike, if I blip the throttle too much on a downshift, I get a jump forward, before any kind of decel effect. (VMax likes to go, not stop). Point is, decel is relative and not a good indicator of clutch slip.

Hope this helps!

Cheers

KCW likes this.
post #5 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 09:18 AM

Garage
i curious as to why you chose that particular oil or was it something you already had? either way it wouldn't cause clutch slippage. the more weight coverage an oil has the faster the viscosity breaks down so a 15/40 breaks down a bit sooner than 20/50 and a 5/40 would breakdown pretty quickly.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 03-20-2016 at 09:23 AM.
post #6 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Banned

Zero chance it's the Rotella. I've been running T6 in all my bikes for many years.
BigBuddha76 and BigBuddha76 like this.
post #7 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfredar View Post

Rotella T and T6 are both JASO MA rated.
post #8 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 10:51 AM

there is no way the clutch would slip under decel and not under load.

engine oils have not had any zinc in them for years now. the EPA mandated that they remove those additives from oils. to get zinc you need to buy break-in oil or racing formula oil.
post #9 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diemaco View Post
there is no way the clutch would slip under decel and not under load.

engine oils have not had any zinc in them for years now. the EPA mandated that they remove those additives from oils. to get zinc you need to buy break-in oil or racing formula oil.
Actually, motorcycles oils have around 1000 - 1200 zinc levels... Lots of automotive oils do too, diesel oil being one, as well as Valvoline VR1, just to name a few.

You're not going to find high levels of zinc in something like SN 5w30, 5w20 etc...
post #10 of 44 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
i curious as to why you chose that particular oil or was it something you already had? either way it wouldn't cause clutch slippage. the more weight coverage an oil has the faster the viscosity breaks down so a 15/40 breaks down a bit sooner than 20/50 and a 5/40 would breakdown pretty quickly.

It's what they had in stock and I read it worked well for multiple people.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode