Cobra PowerFlow vs Other pod intakes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-20-2016, 11:05 PM Thread Starter

Cobra PowerFlow vs Other pod intakes

I'm looking at intake options and the pod styles seems simple and effective. I prefer the look of the cobra version. From what I can tell, it's essentially a pod intake with a shroud. Anyone with experience with both? Or why did you choose one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:17 AM

cobra powerflow, not familar with it.if it uses the stock intake duct, pods are better, pardon my syntac
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

The PowerFlow includes mounting hardware, a velocity stack, and shroud. The pod kits, from what I've seen, are essentially filters strapped to an adapter plate.

Pod kit (this is from LA Choppers)

PowerFlow

Last edited by bofa; 03-21-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:36 PM

the power flo looks similar to the hypercharger, so the jetting chart recommends 125.5 or 127.5 jets for both the hypercharger or the gak pod setup. the gain in performance should be the same..everyone goes with the pods cause its easier to tune and cheaper plus the hyperchargers are harder to tune because the airflo changes. you might have problems in mid range.the power charger looks cool.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick57 View Post
the power flo looks similar to the hypercharger, so the jetting chart recommends 125.5 or 127.5 jets for both the hypercharger or the gak pod setup. the gain in performance should be the same..everyone goes with the pods cause its easier to tune and cheaper plus the hyperchargers are harder to tune because the airflo changes. you might have problems in mid range.the power charger looks cool.
Thanks for chiming in. My bike has FI, so a tuner will be needed either way, but no jets of course. The Hypercharger seems different though because it has the added complexity of louvers that you have to adjust.

I like the idea of the protective shroud on the powerflo but worry that the hypercharger adds unneeded complexity and cost. I wonder if there are any performance differences.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:52 PM

fi. ok just call me clueless
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

i did a lot of research on this when i was looking for an intake. from what most people post online, the hypercharger seems to be mostly about aesthetics, not performance. for the best performance, i think your best bet is to get an intake that gives the most exposure to outside air, meaning no cover blocking air to the filter. i've been extremely happy with the LA Choppers XXX kit. the filter has an unobstructed 360° exposure and you can hear the air getting sucked in. the gains in acceleration were very noticeable with the cobra fms.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
i did a lot of research on this when i was looking for an intake. from what most people post online, the hypercharger seems to be mostly about aesthetics, not performance. for the best performance, i think your best bet is to get an intake that gives the most exposure to outside air, meaning no cover blocking air to the filter. i've been extremely happy with the LA Choppers XXX kit. the filter has an unobstructed 360° exposure and you can hear the air getting sucked in. the gains in acceleration were very noticeable with the cobra fms.
Thanks bevo. Any particular reason why you chose that one over the other pod kits? ETA is the LA Choppers kits and the Barons kit the same thing?

Last edited by bofa; 03-21-2016 at 10:14 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

mine is figure 4. it was the concept i was looking for and it looked more stylish than the others without being too expensive. the barons kit is the same concept, just a more narrow filter but longer. i'm no engineer, but it doesn't seem to collect as much air as the LA Choppers intake.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevo1981 View Post
mine is figure 4. it was the concept i was looking for and it looked more stylish than the others without being too expensive. the barons kit is the same concept, just a more narrow filter but longer. i'm no engineer, but it doesn't seem to collect as much air as the LA Choppers intake.
Any chance you have a link to the LA kit? I tried searching online and their site and just came up with Barons. I kind of assumed it was one in the same but am interested in the differences.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode