Need help.. 1300 stalls cant figure it out - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By bevo1981

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Need help.. 1300 stalls cant figure it out

Hopefully someone has an answer or an idea of what could be happening to my 07 V Star 1300 Tourer. Ive had a problem with it stalling for over a year and thought I had the problem fixed but I found out it hasnt. Ive had a yamaha dealer help me and we couldn't figure it out. We even talked to yamaha directly and havent gotten it. What happens is I go for a 15 or more mile ride and on occasion I will pull up to a stop sign and my bike will have a very low idle and it will die when I pull in the clutch. It doesnt do it every time and it starts right back up after it dies if I give it a little throttle when starting it. Now as for the things ive done.. Yamaha told me to disconnect my power commander and run it on the stock computer. I did that and it didnt help. They also to me to check the throttle position sensor. We went into diagnostic mode and it showed it was working fine. Ive changed plugs oil and ran some combustion chamber cleaner in it. Ive tried seafoam and injector cleaner. We adjusted the power commander adding and subtracting fuel. Checking the plugs and they look awesome. Im wondering if although the tps shows its working in diagnostic mode it could possibly be going out? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Im getting sick of it.. Almost tempted to get rid of it and buy a harley lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-22-2016, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

fuel pump?
you say you had a dealer help, but have you actually had the service shop take it in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyspider View Post
Almost tempted to get rid of it and buy a harley lol
that's just twice as much money for the same problems

Stose85 and Stose85 like this.

on a steel horse I ride
i create motorcycle videos. check them out here

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 11:03 AM

Garage
Quote:
Hopefully someone has an answer or an idea of what could be happening to my 07 V Star 1300 Tourer. Ive had a problem with it stalling for over a year and thought I had the problem fixed but I found out it hasnt. Ive had a yamaha dealer help me and we couldn't figure it out. We even talked to yamaha directly and havent gotten it. What happens is I go for a 15 or more mile ride and on occasion I will pull up to a stop sign and my bike will have a very low idle and it will die when I pull in the clutch. It doesnt do it every time and it starts right back up after it dies if I give it a little throttle when starting it. Now as for the things ive done.. Yamaha told me to disconnect my power commander and run it on the stock computer. I did that and it didnt help. They also to me to check the throttle position sensor. We went into diagnostic mode and it showed it was working fine. Ive changed plugs oil and ran some combustion chamber cleaner in it. Ive tried seafoam and injector cleaner. We adjusted the power commander adding and subtracting fuel. Checking the plugs and they look awesome. Im wondering if although the tps shows its working in diagnostic mode it could possibly be going out? Any ideas or suggestions would be great. Im getting sick of it.. Almost tempted to get rid of it and buy a harley lol
the TPS could be malfunctioning itermittently when hot. try doing a ohms test while holding a hair dryer on it to raise the temp slowly while testing, if there's a air temp sensor it will also to be checked. if the ohms readings on the tps start changing drastically when heated you found the problem. if you cant find the ohms specs just look for big changes between hot and cold. i'v seen clutch drag cause stalls also does it ever stall in neutral or just when the clutch is pulled

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 03-23-2016 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I havent had it in their shop I know the parts guy and the mechanic very well and theyve looked at it just never in depth theyve just had me try some suggestions theyve had. If you say temp would affect the tps more than likely thats the problem because it only does it when its it's warmer. My morning commute to work it has never done it. Only on the ride home at the end of the day when it's warmer. Fall and spring it rarely does it unless the bike is warmed up and its been a 30+ mile ride. Its possible it would shut off in neutral because the idle drops way low when its about to die.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2016, 08:22 PM

Garage
Quote:
I havent had it in their shop I know the parts guy and the mechanic very well and theyve looked at it just never in depth theyve just had me try some suggestions theyve had. If you say temp would affect the tps more than likely thats the problem because it only does it when its it's warmer. My morning commute to work it has never done it. Only on the ride home at the end of the day when it's warmer. Fall and spring it rarely does it unless the bike is warmed up and its been a 30+ mile ride. Its possible it would shut off in neutral because the idle drops way low when its about to die.
i think the tps and air temp sensor aren't interconnected but they both affect the idle. the tps is fuel and timing sensor and the air temp sensor is like a choke richining the fuel mixture when the engines cold. when they go bad the mixture go's rich when the engine's hot stalling it. fuel injection is sometimes difficult to diagnose espically an injector itself those can also partly fail when hot. i do some of my ohms tests with a hair drier in hand on things like were discussing. i'v seen too many instances of components testing good only to fail when hot

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 03-23-2016 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode