Squealing rear brakes - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Tynker
  • 2 Post By pauli466

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Question Squealing rear brakes

My rear brakes have been squealing for awhile while braking. The bike has 32k miles on the original brakes so i decided to replace the shoes along with the spring maintenance list. After the brakes were replaces it still has a squeal but a different tone now. Is there any tips to stop the squeal? I thought about taking a grinding pad and roughing up the drum to see if that helps.

The bike is a 2007 VStar Custom Midnight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:29 PM

Use a file and champfer the leading edge of both pads. It will stop the squeel caused by the front edge of the pad vibrating.
t84a and t84a like this.

4 wheels move the body
2 wheels move the soul
58 years behind bars

Last edited by Tynker; 04-01-2016 at 05:34 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 08:31 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarDriver242 View Post
My rear brakes have been squealing for awhile while braking. The bike has 32k miles on the original brakes so i decided to replace the shoes along with the spring maintenance list. After the brakes were replaces it still has a squeal but a different tone now. Is there any tips to stop the squeal? I thought about taking a grinding pad and roughing up the drum to see if that helps.

The bike is a 2007 VStar Custom Midnight
check the drive housing gap at the rear wheel if it not even all the way around they squeak. there's a specific procedure for reinstalling the rear wheel not following it to the letter creates an uneven gap sometimes causing squealing. removing any sharp edges on the linings sometimes helps. i file the edges on my linings front and rear every time i change em.
BigBuddha76 and BigBuddha76 like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 03-31-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
I reread the manual for rear wheel install and I'm not sure I followed the steps to a T but I was purdy close. The main thing I gleaned was tighten the 4 drive housing bolts first, which is what did. I will pull the rear wheel off again and chamfer the sharp edges.

Pauli466
The gap between the rear drive and wheel is not even all the way around. I'm pretty sure it's not been equal since I've owned it. It wasn't even when I changed the tire a couple years ago. is there a way to shim the rear drive to achieve an even gap? The way it seems to me there is no adjustment and it should all align when tightened up.

2007 Yamaha VStar Custom Midnight baby bagger 😀

Last edited by StarDriver242; 04-03-2016 at 04:32 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the replies.
I reread the manual for rear wheel install and I'm not sure I followed the steps to a T but I was purdy close. The main thing I gleaned was tighten the 4 drive housing bolts first, which is what did. I will pull the rear wheel off again and chamfer the sharp edges.

Pauli466
The gap between the rear drive and wheel is not even all the way around. I'm pretty sure it's not been equal since I've owned it. It wasn't even when I changed the tire a couple years ago. is there a way to shim the rear drive to achieve an even gap? The way it seems to me there is no adjustment and it should all align when tightened up.
chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/http://www.650ccnd.com/documents/FinalDrivealignProc.pdf
mine wouldn't line up right without loosening the acorn nuts on the nose cone. if it won't line up no matter what you do you put washers between housing and the frame to get it even. just eyeball it your not looking for perfection. when they're too far off it's more of a creak than a squeal and it does it whether your braking or not.

Last edited by pauli466; 04-03-2016 at 07:15 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Pauli466 I will use that procedure when i chamfer the brake shoes.

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2016, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Squealing Brakes

Update:
I took the wheel back off, chamfered the leading and trailing edges of both shoes. I also buffed the shine off the drum. I reassembled and went for a ride. Still squeals, loud enough to have a guy 6 houses down the street turn and look when I stopped at the corner. I took the wheel back off and switched the shoes front to back and put more chamfer on the leading and trailing edges. test rode and still squeals.

I'm about to start looking into putting disc brakes on the rear

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 07:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Update:
I took the wheel back off, chamfered the leading and trailing edges of both shoes. I also buffed the shine off the drum. I reassembled and went for a ride. Still squeals, loud enough to have a guy 6 houses down the street turn and look when I stopped at the corner. I took the wheel back off and switched the shoes front to back and put more chamfer on the leading and trailing edges. test rode and still squeals.

I'm about to start looking into putting disc brakes on the rear
they make a spray coating that goes directly on drums and rotors it's like 25.00 for arosol can of of it. the main ingredient is armorphous silicone and it will stop the noise for a very long time too. also when i tried inexpensive shoes on my 650 only about 1 inch of the leading edges were making contact causing a very loud squeal like you have so i went back to oem and no more noise what so ever. there's also ceramic coating but it cost even more than the armorphous silicone stuff, i'll find the name of it today and post were you can buy it, the mechanic that took over for me when i left has some ,so ill go see him this afternoon and let you know tonight around 6pm edt

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode