Tires and more - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-31-2016, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Tires and more

I posted this earlier, but I think I messed my post up somehow.

I'm sure most you guys have answered this question many times, but I'm new to the site and kind of new to motorcycles so here goes anyway....

I'm looking at replacing my stock tires on my 2006 vstar 1100 classic.

The stock tires are: rear-170/80/15, front-130/90/16.
I'm planning on getting a Michelin Commander II and bump up the width slightly.

looks like the next size up would be: rear-180/70/15, front will stay the same as original.

Will this rear tire work OK.

Another quick question... I'm also thinking about replacing my stock air filter with a K&N. Then later switching to Vance & Hines slip-on mufflers. If I do the filter first will I have to re-jet the carbs then or wait until after the mufflers are installed?

Thanks for all answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:07 AM

Garage
Question quick question

Y do you wont the wider tire? it's only .492" thousandths wider and .8" thousandths smaller and it has too
turn 25 more times to the mile for a loss of 3.1 percent? You just can't go wrong with the stock tires.

I have two 1100's with K&N filters, one with Cobra, one with gutted stock without re-jetting.
BUT some of these bike run leaner than others
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 08:29 AM

No need to do anything to the carbs if you are just installing mufflers. There is zero performance gain.....

With the K&N there is a marginal gain, but it's almost not worth it. Wait and do pod filters......then you'll get a nice performance gain.....and maybe think about full pipes, not just mufflers.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post
No need to do anything to the carbs if you are just installing mufflers. There is zero performance gain.....

With the K&N there is a marginal gain, but it's almost not worth it. Wait and do pod filters......then you'll get a nice performance gain.....and maybe think about full pipes, not just mufflers.
Is this generally true, or specifically the case with the OP's bike?

I ask because I put a set of mufflers and a K&N filter on my Honda, and it had trouble starting for like 10 years until I jetted it.

At the time, I put the mufflers on because I wanted it to be louder, and put the filter in because... because that's what I did to my dirt bike as a kid. I didn't know what I was doing.

I know more now, but I'm definitely no pro. It was just luck that jetting the bike also made it start easier. From some subsequent research and talking with more knowledgeable friends, though, everyone seemed to concur that I should have jetted the bike when I first switched the mufflers and filters - albeit with different jets than I would have used, had I bought a filter pod and full pipes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-01-2016, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRider View Post
Is this generally true, or specifically the case with the OP's bike?

I ask because I put a set of mufflers and a K&N filter on my Honda, and it had trouble starting for like 10 years until I jetted it.

At the time, I put the mufflers on because I wanted it to be louder, and put the filter in because... because that's what I did to my dirt bike as a kid. I didn't know what I was doing.

I know more now, but I'm definitely no pro. It was just luck that jetting the bike also made it start easier. From some subsequent research and talking with more knowledgeable friends, though, everyone seemed to concur that I should have jetted the bike when I first switched the mufflers and filters - albeit with different jets than I would have used, had I bought a filter pod and full pipes.
I just mentioned the mufflers....putting a K&N on an 1100 is kind of a waste of money, it just doesn't do much. You'd have to put in mains maybe 1 size larger.....so it's a very negligible gain. It's better to go with a pod filter set up on these bikes and get 7-10 HP...then it's worth changing the jets.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-06-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sick Mick View Post

New machines doesn't really need aftermarket air intakes as the stock ones doing good. Couple of buddies only install CAI on their trucks for more "aggressive" engine sound.

To OP, what size of rear tires you decided?

2006 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode