Bofa's build thread - 2011 V Star 950 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

Bofa's build thread - 2011 V Star 950

I'm going to track some mods and maintenance items in this thread. I started with a used 2011 V Star 950 a few weeks ago and had minimal mod plans, but that has expanded a bit. This is the only pic I have from when I picked it up. It was all stock and set up for solo rides. I plan to bring it back to 2 up so I can maybe convince my wife to join me.

I have some catching up to do with posts and I'll get those added shortly.

ETA: I'll be posting pricing for reference purposes.

2011 V Star 950

Last edited by bofa; 04-03-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

The first mod I did was a slip-on exhaust. After reading a few reviews and trying to listen to some youtube videos, I settled on the Vance & Hines Twin Slash. I ordered it on ebay for $225 shipped. It took around an hour to install but most of that was me messing with the heat shields. I posted some tips in this thread. The exhaust completely changes the sound of the bike. The stock exhaust is almost like a purr and scooter-ish. This slip-on unleashes the beast and is quite loud.

I also decided to get the quiet baffle insert. I wasn't sure if I was going to use it but after the first ride without it, I knew it needed to be toned down a bit. I got that for $20 on ebay as well but was unable to install it because I couldn't get the main baffle out without having a large slide hammer. I ended up having a local shop do it for $25 when they installed my tires. Now it still has a decent roar but isn't overly obnoxious.

2011 V Star 950
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:32 PM Thread Starter

I ended up deciding to replace the tires as well. After some detailed inspection and realizing they were the original tires, it became a priority. I read quite a bit about the popular Metzelers, Michellins, etc but decided to go with Pirelli Night Dragons. People seem to love them and their grip, with the understanding that there's a sacrifice in treadlife. I can deal with that. I ended up getting a local shop to match the best online price of $320 and I paid $120 for installation. No pics yet, but I'll add them later. I also started this thread about the tires before deciding to do a build thread.

2011 V Star 950
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

After realizing how stock this bike was and that it had the original tires, I took an educated guess that the spark plugs might be in rough shape. Boy was I right.

Old vs new for comparison. I went with the oem NGK standard spark plugs, which I ordered from Amazon for $7.24 each. Apparently you can swap the plugs pretty easily and don't need to remove the tank, which I learned thanks to this .

2011 V Star 950
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bofa View Post
After realizing how stock this bike was and that it had the original tires, I took an educated guess that the spark plugs might be in rough shape. Boy was I right.

Old vs new for comparison. I went with the oem NGK standard spark plugs, which I ordered from Amazon for $7.24 each. Apparently you can swap the plugs pretty easily and don't need to remove the tank, which I learned thanks to this .
Dang dude how many miles were on those plugs?! I replaced mine at 8,000 and they still looked in great shape.

2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Mods:
Memphis Shades Batwing
Yamaha Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Power Point
Kuryakyn Quick Connect Cell Phone Holder
Oxford Premium Cruiser Heated Grips
Scootworks Phatriser I Risers
Cobra Powerflo Air Intake
Cobra Fi2000R
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:48 PM Thread Starter

I also decided to clean up the rear end a bit. It still had the original tag mount and blinkers and stuff. I stripped all of that off and started plotting some alternatives. Ultimately I decided to go with some leds that I'll post about later and to make my own tag brackets. Basically, I picked up some aluminum flat bar for $7 at Lowes and am going to mount them to the oem holes so the tag will hang down just below the fender. I only managed to get them made and painted today. I'm planning to curve the tag a bit but am still waiting on that to be processed by the state (Colorado takes forever!). Here are some preliminary pics of where these will mount and how they look. I cheated a bit and used bolt cutters to trim the aluminum to size. The rest was done with a cheap vice, pliers, a 1/4" drill bit, and a rotary tool to grind the edges. I'll add more pics once I get them mounted. I did test mount with an old tag in between bends and am happy with how they turned out.

2011 V Star 950
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stose85 View Post
Dang dude how many miles were on those plugs?! I replaced mine at 8,000 and they still looked in great shape.
Almost 15k What's worse is one was only hand tight. Incredible.

This thing is running super lean. The fi2000 should help. Hopefully I can get it in this week.
Stose85 and Stose85 like this.

2011 V Star 950
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-03-2016, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

That's all the pics for now. I have some stuff on order and will post more.

In the meantime I'm repairing some chips in the paint, will wet sand that and do a full polish job on it. I bought some small tubes of touchup paint and clear that are colormatched from Amazon. It was pricey for what it is ($24), but I've half-assed touchup before and it looked terrible. Hoping for better results this time.

Oh, one other thing I've been doing a little at a time is cleaning up bolts that had some build up on them. For this I typically soak them in WD-40 for about 5 minutes, clean them, and then use some semichrome with a rotary tool and buffing attachment. They look brand new! I also follow up with some Optimum No Rinse and buff them. It adds a bit of protection.

2011 V Star 950

Last edited by bofa; 04-03-2016 at 09:02 PM.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Slow day at the office today so I worked on some mods.

First - I added a Cobra pod intake and "made it mine"

More info here

2011 V Star 950

Last edited by bofa; 04-07-2016 at 03:58 PM. Reason: fixed link
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-07-2016, 03:55 PM

Garage
Looking good!

2012 V Star 950 Tourer

Mods:
Memphis Shades Batwing
Yamaha Passenger Floorboards
Kuryakyn Power Point
Kuryakyn Quick Connect Cell Phone Holder
Oxford Premium Cruiser Heated Grips
Scootworks Phatriser I Risers
Cobra Powerflo Air Intake
Cobra Fi2000R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode