GAs Question - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 12:23 PM Thread Starter

GAs Question

Did my first rides other than just the neighborhood on my 2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer. This bike died the first time after about eight tenths of a mile the first time. Someone suggest bad gas since this had only like 1750 miles on it. Put in about 1 gallon of marine grade gas and after jumping get it started and nursed it back to home. I put in a new battery and air filter and about filled the tank with new gas and Lucas Fuel Treatment. Ran it for a few hours on and off the next few days. Finally took it around the neighborhood and put on about 20 miles. Took it out today and about an additional 25 miles later the fuel warning came on. Put in about 5 dollars in gas and was fine after that. My question is; Would the bad original gas running thru the engine cause the engine to run too rich and pumping more gas into the cylinders and increase gas consumption? Or is there other items to look at. I think about 50 to 60 miles on a tank is not a lot. Its not leaking either. I talked to a Gold-Wing Rider and he suggested not to worry right now but run good gas thru it for a couple of tanks and check the mileage then. But for the moment enjoy the bike and check the figures after a couple of full tank runs. Thanks!!

Bill

Last edited by merc669; 04-09-2016 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 01:39 PM

I have a 1300 and do mostly country road 'twistys' riding and I get about 47 miles per gallon. (regular 87 octane gas) I think that you should do as your friend says, run it. Fill it to the bottom of the filler neck cup and then set one of the odometer counters to zero. See if you can run it for about 100 miles or until the light comes on then, refill it to the same place. Next divide the miles on the odometer by the number of gallons on the gas pump. I use my cell phone calculator. If the mileage isn't 35 MPG or better, a tech should check it out. Only a suggestion.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2016, 01:46 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! The other rider said the same thing and to do what you said also. So will be recording and checking it to see if it improves.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Just an update. Did a 12 mile ride and bike running great until I got home. The Saddlebag over the muffler had started melting and caught fire. I put the fire out. Removed the saddlebag off the frame. Inside was a pen and a throwaway flashlight i had dropped in. I have been riding this all weekend and no issues. I am wondering if maybe the exhaust got too hot maybe from the fuel injector/gas treatment I have been putting into the gas. The bags looked normal from what I could see and nothing dangling. Yesterday I did a lot more miles on the bike than today. Any ideas on what may have happened.This is the OEM Bags. So only thing I could think of is maybe the stapled on leather-like material at the bottom came loose and caught fire. Not sure why today and not yesterday. Otherwise the bike is fine, idles fine, maybe a little remnant of plastic residue. I had to wipe off melted plastic off the exhaust and it looks okay otherwise. Just not chrome like anymore. Anyway to clean this? Thanks!!

Bill

Last edited by merc669; 04-10-2016 at 02:04 PM. Reason: added a correction
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 02:07 PM

Garage
I also have a 09 1300T and I get about 150 miles to a full tank before my gas light comes on. With the light on, I got up to 180 miles on the odometer. Run 87 octane and measure out some seafoam and put it in the tank for a full tank. You could even pull the spark plugs and look at them and see what the gap is and the condition of them.

2009 V-Star 1300T
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 02:33 PM

Hmm? That's interesting. I would bet that the bag or parts of the bag touched the muffler.

Here is an interesting bit of information. I was doing research on the O2 sensor and how they work. One writer stated the gasoline additives could cause failure of sensor to operate properly. A failed O2 sensor can cause over rich Air Fuel mixture, poor mileage.

Just an idle thought.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-10-2016, 02:40 PM Thread Starter

I agree with the first part. As far as the O2 Sensor. I am not that familiar with its workings. I would have thought maybe it would act the same as some cars and shutdown the car. And going from a watered down gas to a completely different enriched fuel maybe anything is possible. But its something to think about before I install another saddle bag. Now looking for one now to replace the right hand one. Thanks for the O2 Hint. I may need to look at the cost anyways and replace it. It appears to be not too hard category. By the way; Where is the cheapest place to buy an O2 Sensor if it turns out bad. Trying to figure best way to test it first. From what I could find they are like 165 dollars and up. Seems a bit pricey.

Bill

Last edited by merc669; 04-11-2016 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Updated
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-11-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Well got about 98% of the plastic off of exhaust and the luggage frame. Then got it warmed up and took it for a quick run. No issues what so ever. Bike idles wonderfully and the run was nothing but pleasant. No hesitation, jumping or bogging down. Did small some plastic remnants which I wiped off that appears to come from the bottom of the luggage frame. Otherwise the bike runs like a top. Not sure if the exhaust got too hot or something from the saddlebag dropped and got close enough to catch fire. As far as the O2 Sensor from what I read I would have some engine issues that are so far not there. But I am new to this bike and will yield to those that know more. Looking for some replacement bags of I can find a an original right side one then will go that route. Anything I should be looking at or testing? Does any of the Saddlemen Bags (Something like this; http://www.jpcycles.com/product/831-295) work and will they fit using stock frame? Not a lot of funds so going cheap for now if I can and concentrate on other things. Thanks!

Bill

Last edited by merc669; 04-11-2016 at 01:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode