V-Star 650 Passing Lamp Repair - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

V-Star 650 Passing Lamp Repair

Hello everyone, I recently bought my first bike and put it down yesterday. I very thankful that I walked away with a couple of scratches and very minimal damage to the bike. The brake pedal bent up, which should be fairly simple to bend back, but the issue I'm having is with the passing lamps. The bike tipped over on it's right side and the passing lamp broke off from the mounts. Apparently there's a threaded hollow bolt that holds the light to the turn signal. Is this a part that I can purchase from a hardware store? I really don't want to replace the entire light assembly because it's over $100. I have attached photos, please disregard the brown tape, we taped the light on to keep riding the rest of the afternoon. The bike still runs good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2076.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	57578   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2075.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	57586   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2078.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	57594   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2077.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	57602  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 03:43 PM

You are correct, there is indeed a long threaded bolt in the light, the wires actually fish down in to it. You should be able to find just that bolt from a specialty shop that has a ton of selection on bolts and such, I doubt you would find it at a local Home Depot for example. Other solution might be to keep an eye on ebay for a used and maybe damaged passing lamp and just grab the bolt from it. Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 07:39 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew C View Post
Hello everyone, I recently bought my first bike and put it down yesterday. I very thankful that I walked away with a couple of scratches and very minimal damage to the bike. The brake pedal bent up, which should be fairly simple to bend back, but the issue I'm having is with the passing lamps. The bike tipped over on it's right side and the passing lamp broke off from the mounts. Apparently there's a threaded hollow bolt that holds the light to the turn signal. Is this a part that I can purchase from a hardware store? I really don't want to replace the entire light assembly because it's over $100. I have attached photos, please disregard the brown tape, we taped the light on to keep riding the rest of the afternoon. The bike still runs good.
it just an allen bolt with a hole drilled through it for the wires. it looks like its 10mmx1.5 thread pitch about 2" long but once you get the bolt you'll need to drill all the way through it for the wires, then you need to grind a slot into an 8mm or 5/16 allen key for the wire when tightening it

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode