Carb heaters - needed? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Carb heaters - needed?

Hey everyone, i'm just curious i've done some research and can't find an answer I like I have a 2003 vstar 1100, I recently installed a spike air cleaner and rejetted the carbs but after a short ride and some more researching about them i've decided to just go back to stock. While putting the original jets back in I had one of the carb heaters come apart on me. Now I have one on order but i'm hoping to ride this weekend and my question is if this will have any impact on the bike if I leave the one unplugged or should I leave both unplugged and try to ride like this? I'm near Toronto and temp is going to be about 15-20 degrees celcius this weekend. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2016, 06:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopstar View Post
Hey everyone, i'm just curious i've done some research and can't find an answer I like I have a 2003 vstar 1100, I recently installed a spike air cleaner and rejetted the carbs but after a short ride and some more researching about them i've decided to just go back to stock. While putting the original jets back in I had one of the carb heaters come apart on me. Now I have one on order but i'm hoping to ride this weekend and my question is if this will have any impact on the bike if I leave the one unplugged or should I leave both unplugged and try to ride like this? I'm near Toronto and temp is going to be about 15-20 degrees celcius this weekend. Any help is much appreciated, Thanks
you can run with out carb heaters but the engine might be a little choppy until it's fully warmed up.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Great thanks pauli466, i've still got my fingers crossed that the parts will arrive today. If not I will run this weekend without then install once it comes in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Just wanted to say I left the one carb heater unplugged that was broken and left the other in and it started and ran fine all weekend.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2016, 03:08 PM

Garage
i hope you taped or fixed the lead wire so it won't short to ground. it will still energize in low temps if the fuse is still in the circuit.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter

yes I taped it up for that reason. Just picked up the new one today, plan to install this weekend.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2016, 03:31 PM

Don't want to hijack this thread, but how would you test the carb heaters and electrical circuit? My bike does this very thing but once completely warmed up it runs fine.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

the carb heaters are just there for cold weather starts I believe. outside that I don't believe they serve any other purpose. so once the bike is started then they are just docile I assume. must be regulated by the computer somehow.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2016, 12:48 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking897 View Post
Don't want to hijack this thread, but how would you test the carb heaters and electrical circuit? My bike does this very thing but once completely warmed up it runs fine.
you can ohms test the thermal switch on the fuel pump bracket and also the actual heater threaded into the carbs. you can also install a pilot light to let you know when they're activated. i have two pilot lights on my tank bezel a green one for passing lamps and a red one for carb heaters. if the thermal switch does go bad and locks the heaters in the on position i'll know it by the indicator staying on. now i want to figure out how to do an oil pressure indicator or gauge for a 650

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in