2015 V-Star 1300 "Reserve Light" - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 11:03 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to 11mpbg
Thumbs down 2015 V-Star 1300 "Reserve Light"

Gas reserve light came on yesterday, just 100 miles into a tank. Immediately took it to the pump and the 4.9 Gallon tank would only accept 3.1, meaning the light came on with nearly 2 gallons left. Dealership says they can't do anything about it. I have an incredibly frustrated husband and need to get him and it fixed PRONTO!

Have other folks had this issue?

Is there a way to adjust when the reserve recognizes "low"?

Where can I find information about how the tank level sensor actually works?

Ride and Seek Your Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:32 PM

I know this isn't really an answer to your issue (well, kinda is), but, I don't use the light to tell me where my fuel usage is. I've had a 950 and currently a Liner and neither one really worked.

I use "Trip 1" for my fill-ups, "Trip 2" for my oil changes and I've never run out of gas.

I look at my gauge panel frequently so I know how many miles I have on the current fill-up (have to look there anyway for the light) and when the odometer reads 100+, I start my gas station strategy. I keep my fuel mileage on my smart phone so I know that I'm getting anywhere from 33 mpg to 37 mph on a regular basis and 100 miles gives me a bit of wiggle room.

I've read a few discussions about this over the years and some riders say they light is "dead on" and others have had the same experience as I have.

To me, this is kinda like the self canceling turn signals. Everything is cool when they work, but if they don't, ...

This approach has taken a lot of the stress about running out of gas away from me, and believe me I still have run it down to the 4+ gallon range while riding on the road. This usually only happens when I in a non-familiar area like when touring and not paying attention to it.

There is pretty much nothing anyone could tell me that would make me trust the light.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to 11mpbg
Thanks jwallick55. Since this post (just this morning, I know) we've formulated a strategy based on the fact that his filler nozzle is in a different location than on his 950 or my own Strat - that being dead center. There's a lot of air room left in it if filled on the stand.

1)we'll run it until the light comes on again
2)we'll fill it on the stand and take note of that quantity
3)we'll upright it and finish filling and take note of that quantity

#3 will indicate the gallon difference between stand filling and upright filling
after we deduct #2 AND #3 from the 4.9g it's supposed to hold, we'll know approximately how much actual fuel is left in the tank when the light comes on (give or take a bit for airspace left when filled upright but given the nearly TDC position of the filler nozzle on the tank, we don't anticipate there being TOO much air space.

I think for him it's just frustrating that a light came on long before it was expected. Hoping this upright fueling technique helps.

Ride and Seek Your Adventure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2016, 01:29 PM
Elk

Mine is the same. Light comes on put 3 gallons in the tank. I've never pushed it to see just how much is really left...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-17-2016, 12:35 AM

Garage
My light also comes on right about 3.2 gallons. I am normally somewhere around 138 miles when it happens

2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe
Kuryakyn offset Floorboard highway pegs
Kuryakyn Flame ISO grips with Throttle Boss and Bar end Helmet Lock
Power Commander FMS
Cobra Slip-on Exhaust
Ivan's ECU Flash
Cee Baileys Smoke Tinted Windshield
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11mpbg View Post
Thanks jwallick55. Since this post (just this morning, I know) we've formulated a strategy based on the fact that his filler nozzle is in a different location than on his 950 or my own Strat - that being dead center. There's a lot of air room left in it if filled on the stand.

1)we'll run it until the light comes on again
2)we'll fill it on the stand and take note of that quantity
3)we'll upright it and finish filling and take note of that quantity

#3 will indicate the gallon difference between stand filling and upright filling
after we deduct #2 AND #3 from the 4.9g it's supposed to hold, we'll know approximately how much actual fuel is left in the tank when the light comes on (give or take a bit for airspace left when filled upright but given the nearly TDC position of the filler nozzle on the tank, we don't anticipate there being TOO much air space.

I think for him it's just frustrating that a light came on long before it was expected. Hoping this upright fueling technique helps.
Hi.

I have the same issue on my 2015 vstar1300. Gas reserve light comes on 110 miles/3.6 gollons usage. Do you have any deductions? Is it because we fill it up on the stand? Does filling up on upright position make any difference?

Thanks
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koray Erdensin View Post
Hi.

I have the same issue on my 2015 vstar1300. Gas reserve light comes on 110 miles/3.6 gollons usage. Do you have any deductions? Is it because we fill it up on the stand? Does filling up on upright position make any difference?

Thanks
I always fill both my motorcycles while straddling them so the filler port is dead center and at the top most position it can be in.

I also fill the tank to the brim to get as much fuel in at once, unless I know for certain I am going to park it in the hot sun directly after filling, which is almost never.

Like other posters have mentioned, it is a good idea to reset your trip meter on every fill up and keep track or your mileage. With the size of the tank and the MPG's these bikes get anyone should be able to hit 200 miles on one tank if they really need to.
arby and arby like this.

2007 VStar 1300 Touring (road trip/weekend bike)
2003 FZ-1 (daily commuter)
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:35 PM
KCW

Garage
Do the 950 and 1300 not have a flip lever for the reserve like the 650? Are both sides of the tank hosed together and they give you the light instead?

Definitely be careful about filling the tank all the way. I did that last winter when I put the bike up for storage, filled it right to the top so it would not rust. When it got warm in the spring the gas expanded and leaked out through the filler cap all over the tank and engine.

The gasoline down in the tanks in the ground is cold, even in summer. If you fill the bike up to the top of the cap and then stop in a few miles, it will overflow.

BTW, one thing I like about the 650: 200 miles on the main tank and 80 miles on the reserve. Ive ridden it 248 miles at most and still had a quart in it when i filled it back up.

If you are really worried about running out of gas, get one of those 1 quart aluminum fuel bottles and keep it in your saddle bag. 7 to 15 miles of spare fuel is better than a 7 to 15 mile walk.

Last edited by KCW; 05-25-2017 at 06:03 PM.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 06:56 PM

Garage
FYI on Reserve light .

My average mileage is about 140 miles.. (US bike) but i also know when my light comes on.... I usually get another 50 miles easily on the reserve volume. There is no reserve switch on the 1300.. it's fuel injected and the low fuel light is simply that. a light to tell you when the tank is at a certain level.
Just for personal knowledge ..I was working on my 1300 and took the tank off. when i removed the tank I turned the fuel off ( under the left side of the tank facing inwards is a switch like on a carbureted bike but it only has on and off) . I forgot to turn it back to the on position and took it for a ride. I was basically riding on the sub fuel tank volume only. I got about 35 miles before it ran out of fuel in the sub tank and stalled. I got off the road.. realized my mistake and turned the switch back on.. too hard to do sitting on the bike.... and she fired right up.

Mark

2008 Vstar 1300a - Cobra Fi2000r (removed)- Ivan's ECU Tune - Cobra slashdown pipes- Cobra air cleaner - Memphis batwing 9" spoiler windshield - Shark Audio speakers - Pyle amplifier - Baron Custom Accessories RSTD Handlebar - Lindby Custom Multibar Highway - Tsukayu hard saddle bags - accessory 12v lighter plug - LED driving lights - switchback LED front signals.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 10:20 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Do the 950 and 1300 not have a flip lever for the reserve like the 650? Are both sides of the tank hosed together and they give you the light instead?

Definitely be careful about filling the tank all the way. I did that last winter when I put the bike up for storage, filled it right to the top so it would not rust. When it got warm in the spring the gas expanded and leaked out through the filler cap all over the tank and engine.

The gasoline down in the tanks in the ground is cold, even in summer. If you fill the bike up to the top of the cap and then stop in a few miles, it will overflow.

BTW, one thing I like about the 650: 200 miles on the main tank and 80 miles on the reserve. Ive ridden it 248 miles at most and still had a quart in it when i filled it back up.

If you are really worried about running out of gas, get one of those 1 quart aluminum fuel bottles and keep it in your saddle bag. 7 to 15 miles of spare fuel is better than a 7 to 15 mile walk.

The 950 and 1300 don't use a traditional percock with a main and reserve setting. They just relay on the fuel float to tell you the fuel is low. There is a petcock under the tank but it is almost never used in normal operations
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode