keep getting water in tank - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

keep getting water in tank

Hey gang .. I keep getting water in my tank. '06 VStar 1100 classic. I don't always put the cover on, so it does get rained on occasionally. Cap and tank seal look great. Twice now, it sputtered and died when I put it on reserve. Luckily, I switched over before I needed to, so switched back and got home. Both times, I put it on reserve, and drained well over a cup of water from the tank. I called the dealer and showed them the cap. They said, "happens all the time. It's the cap." Well, once again, it looks perfectly fine to me. AND, it's a $100 for a stupid gas cap?

Ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 05:01 PM

lightly rub silicone grease on the cap. close it, open it and check to see if the grease is making a 100% seal. next place a dollar bill around the opening and close the cap. see if the bill can get pulled out easy or not. maybe the tank is made wrong and the latching system isnt tight enough.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-16-2016, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Whoa .. great idea, pal. I guess I assumed the seals were mating. Ironically, it's raining right now, so will check tomorrow. cover is on the bike (whew).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode