Any moderate pipes I can add to the 650 for better sound? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 155
Any moderate pipes I can add to the 650 for better sound?

Hey guys,

I live in Montreal where cops go mental with loud pipes, but of course my classic 650 sounds like a sewing machine. Are there any pipes I could add that would sound better, but not attract attention? I just sold a set of Hard Krome Double Ds because those things were WAY too loud and would get me pulled over in a heartbeat. Any suggestions to something that would lose the sewing machine sound but not have the cops chasing me around?

Thanks,
Dan
DanR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 05:12 PM
Senior Member
 
pauli466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Hey guys,

I live in Montreal where cops go mental with loud pipes, but of course my classic 650 sounds like a sewing machine. Are there any pipes I could add that would sound better, but not attract attention? I just sold a set of Hard Krome Double Ds because those things were WAY too loud and would get me pulled over in a heartbeat. Any suggestions to something that would lose the sewing machine sound but not have the cops chasing me around?

Thanks,
Dan
removing the final baffle and final pipe in my oem pipes worked well for me it doesn't get really loud until around 3/4 throttle or running on the highway at 70mph i think the cobra slip on's have removable baffles and a lot of guys like em if your set on aftermarket pipes. also i thought hard chrome offers baffles for their pipes sold separate maybe?

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 04-22-2016 at 05:17 PM.
pauli466 is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-22-2016, 09:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Sharon, Pennsylvania
Posts: 30
I adapted a set of Fatboy mufflers to a 650 once and they sounded real good. I have a video on it on youtube. Just search my user name there and check it out.
InkyDoggy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 12:27 PM
Member
 
Dekraut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: WV
Posts: 37
I bought my used 1300 with the Yamaha long drag pipes on the bike already... I don't know how they compare to what you've tried but people tell me mine sound a bit louder than stock but are far from obnoxious. They look nice to me too...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bike1c.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	58194  

'09 Vstar 1300 Tourer Galaxy Blue
New to me in 2014

"From thumb throttles to twist throttles in 35 years"
Dekraut is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
camperbc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Fogo Island, Newfoundland (Canada)
Posts: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
Hey guys,

I live in Montreal where cops go mental with loud pipes, but of course my classic 650 sounds like a sewing machine... Any suggestions to something that would lose the sewing machine sound but not have the cops chasing me around?
Thanks,
Dan
Now you've got me worried, Dan! My shiny new 650 Custom is getting delivered on the weekend, and this is the first time that I've heard it's exhaust compared to that of a sewing machine; I can only hope you're kidding! I have heard others say that it has a nice throaty sound without being loud, which to me sounds just about perfect. But if it does in fact sound like a sewing machine I will definitely have to remedy that.

Glen

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
camperbc is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Senior Member
 
pauli466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by camperbc View Post
Now you've got me worried, Dan! My shiny new 650 Custom is getting delivered on the weekend, and this is the first time that I've heard it's exhaust compared to that of a sewing machine; I can only hope you're kidding! I have heard others say that it has a nice throaty sound without being loud, which to me sounds just about perfect. But if it does in fact sound like a sewing machine I will definitely have to remedy that.

Glen
they only sound like sewing machines with thin oil and loose valve clearances. mine sounded like that until i put a 20/50 oil in and tightened the valves to the low end of the spec.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
pauli466 is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 04:58 AM
Member
 
Worty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Carrying Place, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 39
I got Vance and Hines Cruzers on mine. they sound good. not to loud. I did drive around Montreal last year for the day with no problems when we were traveling to the east coast.

2016 FZ 07

2004 V Star 650 Classic (SOLD)
Vance and Hines Cruzers
Worty is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
they only sound like sewing machines with thin oil and loose valve clearances. mine sounded like that until i put a 20/50 oil in and tightened the valves to the low end of the spec.
I've got 20/50 in it and I definitely would not use throaty to describe the sound even slightly lol
DanR is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-27-2016, 05:00 PM
Senior Member
 
pauli466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
I've got 20/50 in it and I definitely would not use throaty to describe the sound even slightly lol
no kinda oil will affect the exhaust sound but higher weights will help quiet the valve tappets. the only way to get a throaty sound is larger pipes so exhaust gasses can expand more, if you cut the final pipe off at the 3rd baffle the exhaust will have room to expand more giving a deeper sound but don't expect to much from 650 ccs especially a 650 cc short stroke, there's just not a very big explosion happening in the combustion chamber
BigBuddha76 and BigBuddha76 like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
pauli466 is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-30-2016, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
DanR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
no kinda oil will affect the exhaust sound but higher weights will help quiet the valve tappets. the only way to get a throaty sound is larger pipes so exhaust gasses can expand more, if you cut the final pipe off at the 3rd baffle the exhaust will have room to expand more giving a deeper sound but don't expect to much from 650 ccs especially a 650 cc short stroke, there's just not a very big explosion happening in the combustion chamber
I had a set of Hard Krome Double Ds and they sounded AMAZING on the bike, but just too loud. Modding pipes in Quebec is illegal and cops are aggressively fining people for it. So I can go louder but those DDs were too much, and that was WITH the baffles lol
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
DanR is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome