Hello all! New to the forum and to Yamaha motorcycles. I've had a Harley, a couple Honda bikes and a Katana 600 (first bike) but this is my first Yamaha.
Seems like a nice bike, but I can't seem to get this [email protected]
#n backfire issue resolved. It backfires not only on deceleration, but also when you hold the throttle steady. Plus seems to surge a little when trying to hold a steady place in the throttle band.
This is the current state of the bike. The guy took out the baffles in the stock mufflers, so it's obviously louder and more free flowing.
Here is what I've done so far after doing a lot of research on here about possible causes. (not necessarily in chronological order)
1. I re-jetted the carbs and installed new float bowl gaskets, as they didn't seem to be sealing as well as used to and installed new PMS screws from MaxAir.
2. I have replaced all exhaust gaskets from the heads to the mufflers.
3. Completely removed the AIS system and plugged the heads with the kit from MaxAir.
4. Set the valves to within proper specs per the manual.
5. Set the idle and balanced the carbs.
It seems to me that it's a timing issue, but the manual says there is no adjustment for timing the bike.
Here is a video of what it's doing.
I'm open to all suggestions and ideas. Really wanting to start riding the bike.