Does 2008 v-star 250 meet California Emissions? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 7
Garage
Unhappy Does 2008 v-star 250 meet California Emissions?

I just purchased a 2008 v-star 250 from ebay (from chicago) without digging into too much details about CA registration rules for out-of-state motorcycles.

My motorcycle has less than 7500 miles (241), which gets classified as a new out-of-state motorcycle by CA DMV, requiring an emission sticker on the motorcycle that says that it meets all the requirements.

I would love your help/guidance with the following questions.

1. Where is the emission sticker on a 2008 v-star 250? I am not able to find it on the frame or on exhaust or headset.

2. Can anyone confirm if 2008 v-star 250 meets CA emission standards?


Thanks so much for reading. I really appreciate any help or guidance.

Sinu
yzrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:46 PM
Senior Member
 
pauli466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider View Post
I just purchased a 2008 v-star 250 from ebay (from chicago) without digging into too much details about CA registration rules for out-of-state motorcycles.

My motorcycle has less than 7500 miles (241), which gets classified as a new out-of-state motorcycle by CA DMV, requiring an emission sticker on the motorcycle that says that it meets all the requirements.

I would love your help/guidance with the following questions.

1. Where is the emission sticker on a 2008 v-star 250? I am not able to find it on the frame or on exhaust or headset.

2. Can anyone confirm if 2008 v-star 250 meets CA emission standards?


Thanks so much for reading. I really appreciate any help or guidance.

Sinu
if it doesn't have the canister to recycle the fumes in gas tank it may not pass, the california models have a different gas tank with a vent hose to a charcoal canister and a tip over shut off switch. in california gas tanks on motor vehicles can't vent to the atmosphere
yzrider and yzrider like this.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 05-19-2016 at 07:49 PM.
pauli466 is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 7
Garage
Here are some pics of the motorcycle

Thanks so much pauli466.

I dont see a canister...but maybe i am not looking at the right place. Here are pics of both sides of the motor cycle, can you confirm?

Thanks again!
Sinu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3320-39.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	58922   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3319-39.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	58930  
yzrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 12:36 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 35
cant you just get a speedo with more miles for the licensing?
diemaco is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:52 AM
Senior Member
 
pauli466's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 1,309
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider View Post
Thanks so much pauli466.

I dont see a canister...but maybe i am not looking at the right place. Here are pics of both sides of the motor cycle, can you confirm?

Thanks again!
Sinu
i think they mount it under the tank where it's hard to see it, if i were you i would go through emissions with it like it is because they won't lift the tank to find out if has one or not, if needs the sticker to prove is compliant with california emissions standards a dealer ship may sell a sticker to you but if the vin number doesn't show that your bike is the california model the dealership might want to install the canister before giving you a sticker, it's really more about having the sticker than anything else at dmv. the dealer will know by the vin number which model you have california or not or you'll have to look under the tank, you might be able to spot it with a flashlight with out lifting the tank. bike salvage yards will sell anything even stickers if they have it.

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
pauli466 is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 04:12 PM
Senior Member
 
afaycasaym's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: California
Posts: 251
Garage
Hate to tell you, but you're probably screwed. It's not likely a California model and DMV will not allow it to be registered in CA with under 7500 miles. I've done a lot of research regarding out of state bikes and they don't bend. They don't do emissions testing and strictly go with the paperwork. You would have to prove it's a CA model...sorry! You can't run up the miles unless you're willing to alter the purchase documents.

Last edited by afaycasaym; 05-21-2016 at 07:39 AM.
afaycasaym is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by diemaco View Post
cant you just get a speedo with more miles for the licensing?
Got a verification done by CHP, miles are recorded. Also the miles are recorded in the title as well.
yzrider is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afaycasaym View Post
Hate to tell you, but you're probably screwed. It's not likely a California model and DMV will not allow it to be registered in CA with under 7500 miles. I've done a lot of research regarding out of state bikes and they don't bend. They don't do emissions testing and strictly go with the paperwork. You would have to prove it's a CA model...sorry! You can't run up the miles unless you're willing to alter the purchase documents.
Thats pretty much what i got from the dealer and the DMV. The dealer confirmed that the vehicle will not be a CA model, if it was purchased elsewhere...and hence it wont have the canister for CA. This one was purchased originally in IL. DMV says that they can't register or do a title transfer without a sticker. If they could atleast issue me a title, i could sell it to someone else in a different state easily.

Now i am sitting here with a title that the original owner assigned to me. I dont know how i could go about selling it now...i tried ebay, but it didnt let me because VIN is not registered under my name (apparently ebay does this check). This sucks...!!
yzrider is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
i think they mount it under the tank where it's hard to see it, if i were you i would go through emissions with it like it is because they won't lift the tank to find out if has one or not, if needs the sticker to prove is compliant with california emissions standards a dealer ship may sell a sticker to you but if the vin number doesn't show that your bike is the california model the dealership might want to install the canister before giving you a sticker, it's really more about having the sticker than anything else at dmv. the dealer will know by the vin number which model you have california or not or you'll have to look under the tank, you might be able to spot it with a flashlight with out lifting the tank. bike salvage yards will sell anything even stickers if they have it.
Is it possible to have a dealer install a canister and issue a new sticker, even though the bike was not originally purchased in CA? I talked to a yamaha dealer here and they say that it is not doable. If that can be done, i could very look up other yamaha dealers in the area and check it out.
yzrider is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 7
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yzrider View Post
Is it possible to have a dealer install a canister and issue a new sticker, even though the bike was not originally purchased in CA? I talked to a yamaha dealer here and they say that it is not doable. If that can be done, i could very look up other yamaha dealers in the area and check it out.
I called a few dealers here and they all confirmed that Yamaha doesn't re-issue a sticker if it doesn't has one already.
yzrider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome