model I.D. and compression questions - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

model I.D. and compression questions

First question is about finding out what model I have. A 2002 XVS 1100 A Dragstar according to the info I pulled from the VIN on the net. However the info I got didn't give me a model, I checked under the seat on the frame but there is nothing there,all the name plates were removed. When looking up parts it always requests custom,classic or silverado,never dragstar.
Is there any way to determine what model I have?

Next question,I need to run a compression check, when I start the bike and place my hand over the rear cylinder exhaust pipe,the air feels cooler then the front cylinder pipe. When looking at gauges on e-bay(my old one vanished since the last time I used it about 10 years ago) is there any special considerations I need to look for? They list adapters and things and I have no idea what I need,my old one you just held in place but that wouldn't work for me now.

This is the one I was looking at Automotive Petrol Gas Engine Cylinder Compression Tester Gauge Kit Auto Tool | eBay
For me the price is perfect since after I get done getting this running right I will probably never use it again.
Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 09:55 PM

Hi there
First of all the XVS 1100 in USA is known as Vstar Classic, custom or Silverado everywhere else in the world is known as the Dragstar but it's exactly the same bike.
Post a picture and will tell you which of the 3 you got.
The cooler air off the exhaust or cooler exhaust might be one of the carbs not working properly or the sparkplug needing to be replaced.
The kit I use to test compression is from HF
http://m.harborfreight.com/quick-con...ter-95187.html
And they have 20% coupons all the time so it's about 22 bucks
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-2016, 10:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGRG View Post
First question is about finding out what model I have. A 2002 XVS 1100 A Dragstar according to the info I pulled from the VIN on the net. However the info I got didn't give me a model, I checked under the seat on the frame but there is nothing there,all the name plates were removed. When looking up parts it always requests custom,classic or silverado,never dragstar.
Is there any way to determine what model I have?

Next question,I need to run a compression check, when I start the bike and place my hand over the rear cylinder exhaust pipe,the air feels cooler then the front cylinder pipe. When looking at gauges on e-bay(my old one vanished since the last time I used it about 10 years ago) is there any special considerations I need to look for? They list adapters and things and I have no idea what I need,my old one you just held in place but that wouldn't work for me now.

This is the one I was looking at Automotive Petrol Gas Engine Cylinder Compression Tester Gauge Kit Auto Tool | eBay
For me the price is perfect since after I get done getting this running right I will probably never use it again.
Thanks for any help.
if it has pegs its a custom if it has boards it's a classic if has studded seats its a classic with the silverado package. and that compression tester looks like it will fit anything out there and its a very good price

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 05-31-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's,my problem with the model is that things have been changed over the years,the exhaust is modified so I don't know what else may have been changed,the best I could tell from my research is classic,from what you guys said and from what I read that seems the best bet.

I'm hoping it's just the carbs,I want to put it in the shop and have them cleaned and rebuilt but want to make sure I don't have any unexpected surprises.It been a long time since I've worked on anything,I've forgotten a lot of what I knew,don't remember a lot of what I learned and a lot has changed since the old Triumphs I rebuilt in the early to mid 80's so I appreciate any advise I get.

This is the pic from the newspaper add when I bought it.I need to get a camera and take some pics before I start working on it.

And I had forgotten about Harbor Freight,have one close by so I don;t have to wait for shipping,again thanks for the reply's,I wont be doing much for a few weeks while I save money but plan on a few changes and painting eventually and will post pics as I go.Right now trying to find a muffler bracket to replace the original pipes,the ones on there are straight,need to change them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01111_kaXIrdtFU9v_1200x900.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	59202  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:11 AM

xvs1100 is the custom and the xvs1100A is the classic and silverado.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 05:45 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGRG View Post
This is the pic from the newspaper add when I bought it.I need to get a camera and take some pics before I start working on it.
It's a Classic. I have the same year / model.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3891.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	59210  

2002 V-Star 1100 Classic
Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing
Dragbar Handlebars
National Cycle Cruiseliner Saddlebags
7" LED Headlight with 4.5" LED Driving Lights
Corbin Seat
Engine Guard with Kuryakyn Pegs
Chubby Intake with TimB's PMS Thumbscrews
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 06:56 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply's everyone, you ave been a big help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode