how many decibels are Cobra Dragster pipes on V Star - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

how many decibels are Cobra Dragster pipes on V Star

Greetings from Montreal =)

With the exhaust restrictions here in Quebec being pretty fierce (I checked the web - apparently the db limits here are 92db idling and 100db constant speed) I was wondering if anyone knew (or knows where to find) the db levels for after-market pipes? More specifically for Cobra Dragsters?

Really want to install these little beauties, just not sure I want to pony up for the fines...

Yamez - putting the Yam into Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 AM

I would assume that the Quebec regulatory folks would have to tell you where they measure the decibel levels on a motorcycle exhaust and at what RPM. After knowing that, you could ask Cobra if they have any measurements for your specific bike for those parameters or, find another biker with a bike like yours with Cobra pipes and a decibel meter. There's no straightforward easy answer.

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:11 AM Thread Starter

No easy answer? You got that right. I've made a few calls, seems like the only people who have the db meter are the police (at least, the regulatory body has no info on db levels) and the only way to find out if your bike is too loud is to rattle past the boys in blue. I'm going to call Cobra and see if they have the db info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:16 AM

Check this out, TONS of good info here: https://saaq.gouv.qc.ca/en/saaq/docu...d-level-meter/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Checked that out already Dan, 92 and 100 are the magic numbers. We come in lower than that and we're in like Flynn...

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:23 AM

If those slip ons are under, I order them tomorrow LOL
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:48 AM

Btw for a 1, 2 or 6 cylinder bike, they test at 2500 RPM and for a 3 or 4 cylinder bike, they test at 5000 RPM.

Not sure if this link will work, but this is the test procedure manual:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

Wonder how they check RPMs on a bike with no tach.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 10:51 AM Thread Starter

Hey Dan,

Just spoke to a great guy over at Cobra in California - he didn't have the exact db levels for their pipes (it's not legislated in the same way as it is here) but said you're sh#t outta luck with the slip-ons for the 650. They'll be too loud. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news buddy. He did say the Speedster Longs might come in under the db limits (especially with the quite core baffles installed) - they're available for my 1100 but not sure if they are available for the 650.

If they're not available for the 650 get your hands on a 1100. We'll paint it black and make like banshees...

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 11:12 PM

i had to pass provincial inspection here is BC. OEM pipes pass, not by much. i have cheapo slip ons on it. they were 105 at idle and 115 reving. here the inspector has the box few meters back and off to the side.

i didnt have OEM pipes, so i bought some harley take off pipes. made adapters, 100 idle 110 rev'ed. i then placed frost plugs in the mufflers and drilled 5 holes in the plugs. finally passed. then threw them out and reinstalled my loud pipes LOL.

BTW, download DB meter apps for your phone. i tried three of them, and they were within a DB of the official test unit they used.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-02-2016, 01:29 PM Thread Starter

Good call on the BB meter app diemaco, great idea. In fact, it's made me think of something - start a thread and ask people to post DB levels for the pipes. Would be really helpful =)

Could you let me know which DB apps you tried? They sound like they were right on the money...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode