Not shifting from first to second - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Not shifting from first to second

I have been having problems with slippage but recently I changed the oil in my 2007 xvz 650 classic and niw when I shift from 1st it goes straight to neutral and I have to shift several times to go into 2nd. It some times will go right into second and some times wont... I figured maybe the oil was too light (10w-40) so I added lucas oil stabilizer and that helped some.... Do you guys think it is just the oil or maybe something else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:34 PM

If you already had slippage, I would bet the clutch operation is marginal and your problem is not oil related. Is the clutch linkage set properly?

I'm always working very diligently to discover the obvious.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I believe so, I haven't changed it since I bought the bike in February.....maybe I should look into that? How will I know if it's correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:05 PM

Is this the original clutch and how many miles are on the bike?

Dan
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

To my knowledge it is the original clutch and there are 21200 miles
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:30 PM

OK let me ask you this... if you are in 4th cruising a good speed and you hammer on the gas, are you getting solid acceleration and you have to shift to fifth, or are you feeling the clutch slip and there's little to no acceleration despite RPM climbing? Also, what exact oil did you put in on the oil change?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Yea I have good acceleration in all gears.....I have had it slip into 2nd from 3rd while accelerating before but in 4th it does good....just mostly having a problem with it not wanting tho shift into second gear. I used Castrol 10w-40, was using 20w-50....I drained about half a qt out and put in some lucas stabilizer to thicken up the oil which slightly helped
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 02:11 PM

OK that doesn't sound like your clutch is going as far as I know... you should have slippage under hard acceleration before you have trouble shifting gears. Can you go here and tell me exactly which oil you put in:

Castrol - Motor Oil, Engine Oils, Full Synthetic Oil, Transmission Fluid and Lubricants

Basically are you 100% sure it was JASO rated oil? Having problems shifting from 1st to second and slippage is a symptom of using a non-JASO rated motor oil that is not intended to wet clutch use. And apologies if you already knew all this, I didn't when I first started lol

EDIT - Sorry I should also mention that it could very well be time to change the clutch, depending on how the old owner used it. I had to change my clutch at exactly 21,700 miles, which is 500 miles from your current mileage.

Last edited by DanR; 06-08-2016 at 02:15 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

I think you're right about the clutch, the oil is jaso rated but the guy before me putt after market exhaust and air filter and I'm not sure if he changed the jets.....Probably wore this clutch out
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-08-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerider View Post
I think you're right about the clutch, the oil is jaso rated but the guy before me putt after market exhaust and air filter and I'm not sure if he changed the jets.....Probably wore this clutch out
I could be wrong but I don't think running lean would put any undue hardship on the clutch... if anything the upgrades would simply be a waste without proper jetting. But if your guy rode the clutch a lot like the previous owner of mine, it could be time. Btw if you bring it to a competent mechanic, they can tell you within seconds if your cable appears to need adjusting.

Changing your clutch is easy by the way, there's a couple of great Youtube videos for your bike on how to do it. It was the first thing I ever did on my bike mechanical wise and it was easy. The biggest pain in the ass for me was getting the crankcase cover back on without the damn gasket moving out of place. In fact it took me longer to get the cover back on with the gasket properly aligned than the entire rest of the job lol! Also a pain in the butt carefully scraping off pieces of the old gasket from the cover.

Dan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode