01' 1100 engine rebuild - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2016, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Question 01' 1100 engine rebuild

Who makes a complete rebuild kit for the Vstar1100?

I think it blew out a valve stem seal going down the highway, started smoking, I pulled off... it seemed to have plenty of power and the smoke disapated so I turned for home to park it until I could figure out what happened... only made it part way home, the oil light came on (not low on oil though) smoke and no power, this time as I pulled over it died. There's oil in both carbs, the breather was half full, pulled the plug, both are wet... stuck a q-tip in both cylinders, both have oil on top of the piston...

Pulled the motor out today, start breaking it down this week. But I'm looking for a company that sells either a HP rebuild kit or just a stock rebuild kit (minimum of rings, gaskets from the lower jug up, all the o-rings)

thx in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 11:12 AM

I'd first verify the issue before you go too far. Over filling the crankcase can send oil into the intake/air filter from the vent ....and if you get enough in there, it's going to start sucking it through the motor so it'll be everywhere. Halfway up the site glass is where the oil level needs to be.

I'm not aware of anyone selling a "kit". Parts are available separately from the dealer.....but most just pick up a used motor for $800-$1000 and go from there (if that is the issue).

These 1100 motors are pretty much bullet proof....probably good for 300,000 miles with proper care. Rarely is there ever an issue which is why no one makes a kit to rebuild them.

Not saying The valve stem seal couldn't happen, but it would be extremely rare. Make sure you have the Yamaha shop manual handy.....

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 06-13-2016 at 11:22 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-13-2016, 02:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by backnblaktj View Post
Who makes a complete rebuild kit for the Vstar1100?

I think it blew out a valve stem seal going down the highway, started smoking, I pulled off... it seemed to have plenty of power and the smoke disapated so I turned for home to park it until I could figure out what happened... only made it part way home, the oil light came on (not low on oil though) smoke and no power, this time as I pulled over it died. There's oil in both carbs, the breather was half full, pulled the plug, both are wet... stuck a q-tip in both cylinders, both have oil on top of the piston...

Pulled the motor out today, start breaking it down this week. But I'm looking for a company that sells either a HP rebuild kit or just a stock rebuild kit (minimum of rings, gaskets from the lower jug up, all the o-rings)

thx in advance
should have ran a compression check before removing the engine to verify internal damage occurred, an engine will run just fine with out any valve seals at all, the clearance between a valve stem and a guide is less than the thickness of a hair on your head, oil may seep but it can't pour through to fill a cylinder with oil, if oil got into the cylinder it got sucked in from the breather from badly damaged oil control rings

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode