exhaust help! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By bobbedvstar
  • 2 Post By bobbedvstar
  • 2 Post By bobbedvstar
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
ztphillips93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 16
Garage
exhaust help!

hey all! so i have a 2007 v star 1100 classic, k&N big air filter, cobra lo boy's and a cobra jet kit. my question is about the pipes.. I'm bobbing the bike out and do not like how long the pipes are. I'm really wanting to take the mufflers off to make them "shorty" pipes with some exhaust wrap. will this hurt my bike? i know they will be very loud but my bike already wakes up the neighborhood lol I've looked down the mufflers and there is no baffles, nothing.. just pipe. I'm thinking the cobra jet kit will help with the tuning of the bike what do y'all think?

Stay Golden Pony Boy
ztphillips93 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2016, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
ztphillips93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztphillips93 View Post
hey all! so i have a 2007 v star 1100 classic, k&N big air filter, cobra lo boy's and a cobra jet kit. my question is about the pipes.. I'm bobbing the bike out and do not like how long the pipes are. I'm really wanting to take the mufflers off to make them "shorty" pipes with some exhaust wrap. will this hurt my bike? i know they will be very loud but my bike already wakes up the neighborhood lol I've looked down the mufflers and there is no baffles, nothing.. just pipe. I'm thinking the cobra jet kit will help with the tuning of the bike what do y'all think?
heres what I'm talking about, taking the back half off
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	user62322_pic15994_1466275030.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	59713  

Stay Golden Pony Boy
ztphillips93 is offline  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:04 AM
Member
 
bobbedvstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: close enough to Ocean City MD
Posts: 46
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztphillips93 View Post
heres what I'm talking about, taking the back half off
heres how i did mine because i wasnt much on how long they were so i cut the mufflers off and bought a pair of turn down exhaust tips from Ebay to match my pipe size and welded them on and exhaust wrapped over the welds.


2003 Vstar 1100 classic Bobber

Name is Wes,
jack of all trades master of none!
bobbedvstar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
ztphillips93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbedvstar View Post
heres how i did mine because i wasnt much on how long they were so i cut the mufflers off and bought a pair of turn down exhaust tips from Ebay to match my pipe size and welded them on and exhaust wrapped over the welds.

Wow! Looks awesome, notice anything different having the shortys on?
ztphillips93 is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:21 AM
Member
 
bobbedvstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: close enough to Ocean City MD
Posts: 46
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztphillips93 View Post
Wow! Looks awesome, notice anything different having the shortys on?
just louder lol but being i added the 13" extension tip onto the top pipe (rear cylinder) it eliminated that bobble popping sound. i did a small little write up on it. My piping was 1.75 so i bought a 16" of 1.75 exhaust pipe from advanced auto and the 2 13" turndown extensions from ebay and placed the exhaust piping onto the bottom pipe that way the turndowns would be at the same spot. sanded the chrome extension tips and painted them with matte black header paint then wrapped from the engine to the last weld at the tips with black exhaust wrap from amazon ($16 i believe) as far as performance no i dont notice anything, its doesnt pop downshifting bad at all just what you would expect, and an awesome idle
ztphillips93 and ztphillips93 like this.

2003 Vstar 1100 classic Bobber

Name is Wes,
jack of all trades master of none!
bobbedvstar is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 08:36 AM
Member
 
bobbedvstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: close enough to Ocean City MD
Posts: 46
Garage
just some pics of the bike one will show the exhaust and the bike entirely



ztphillips93 and ztphillips93 like this.

2003 Vstar 1100 classic Bobber

Name is Wes,
jack of all trades master of none!
bobbedvstar is offline  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
ztphillips93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: San Diego
Posts: 16
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbedvstar View Post
just some pics of the bike one will show the exhaust and the bike entirely



looks badass man! i don't have welding equipment but i imagine exhaust clamps will work the same? just buy the exhaust tips, clamp them, and wrap them? ill let you know how it goes and will send pics

Stay Golden Pony Boy
ztphillips93 is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2016, 05:34 PM
Member
 
bobbedvstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: close enough to Ocean City MD
Posts: 46
Garage
Yea you could clamp it using like pipe repair clamps at your local pep boys the tips and the extension pieces are swelled to slip over you piping usually just measure your pipes not sure if what I cut up was stock size or not
ztphillips93 and ztphillips93 like this.
bobbedvstar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome