21" harley front wheel - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 09:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
21" harley front wheel

going to be doing this to my '99 1100, the version where you swap out the bearing so you can use the original xvs wheel axle spinlde ..

the front wheel im getting is from a 2007 XL883 C sportster

first of all, this will work yes? I'm sure i read any 2000+ softail will work

secondly, could someone please tell me what bearing size i will need?

'99 XVS 1100 Custom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Garage
so I think this may have just gotten a whole lot more complicated because of my widened front end ..

as you can see here, the harley wheel only has the option for a disc on one side..

where as you can see here, the spacing on my wheel is in between the disc and the hub (the ribbed part)

now obviously the disc side is not a problem as i can just get a similar spacer thing made up.. how on the non disc side (right) it would just be the wheel spindle normal thin type spacer, and i think that might look far too open and weak .. any suggestions?

'99 XVS 1100 Custom
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 02:32 PM

Any time you do a modification to the original set up, there are trade offs. The bolt pattern is much smaller on the Harley wheel, so it might not be that big of deal to put the same size spacer on each side.

It's totally up the the look you are after.... the smaller spacer will definitely open it up a bit.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff

Last edited by Sick Mick; 07-04-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
but the spacer will have nothing to bolt too on the right hand side, as that is how they connect ..

or do you mean, just have that on one side and a standard wheel spacer on the other side that sits on the spindle? and because the disc side will be a lot smaller than what ive currently got it wont stand out as much?

'99 XVS 1100 Custom
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-04-2016, 06:20 PM

Of course you are limited to the bearing OD where it mates with the bearing, but if you are making the spacer yourself, you could step it up in the center section, after it clears the hub by a slight amount if you want it to be fatter....then step back down where it mates with the fork. The side with the rotor has only 1 way to accomplish things....so the spacer would need to be the same as the rotor bolt pattern.

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

Garage
im currently exploring the option of having my wheel rebuilt onto a 21" rim so i dont have to have any new spacers made up .. this itself will probably be more expensive, but when i factor in the saving from not having to make new spacers and get new discs, it should be about even

'99 XVS 1100 Custom
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-05-2016, 06:35 PM

There aren't a whole lot of of 21" rims with the proper spoke pattern.....but you can always have one custom drilled.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode