V Star 1100 clutch replacement insight - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

V Star 1100 clutch replacement insight

I'm replacing my clutch friction plates and steel plates with the Barnett kit: Yamaha Clutch Plate Kit- Kevlar
Part# 306-90-10072

I'm at the point where I start removing the old plates. Well, the old friction plates have a single notch on one tab and a double notch on another tab opposite of the single notch. The new friction plates do not have these notches. I noticed that all these notches are aligned. The only concern I have is the new friction plates do not have these notches. Before I install them I'm curious if this will cause an issue with the new plates not having the notches.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 07:13 PM

Garage
i think those plates are supposed to be used with a barnett clutch basket because the yamaha basket has indicator marks for the double notched tabs, when you removed your plates were the friction pads one behind the other or were they staggered. that's what i'd be looking for when installing the barnett discs, if you don't get it right you can end up with a dragging clutch

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 07-08-2016 at 07:16 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-08-2016, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

My bike's basket didn't even have the two dimples on it to mark where the double notch should be. But I installed the new fiction plates and steels rings as well as the Barnett spring conversion, put it all back together gave her brand new oil and the rest is history. She rides like a dream again. I forgot what it was like to crack her throttle and actually have the bike accelerate, smiles all day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode