Exhaust Question / Problem? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-16-2016, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Exhaust Question / Problem?

The previous owner of my bike punched out the exhaust but yesterday the center piece inside came out of the lower pipe.
The bike still seems to run fine, the air coming from each pipe is almost the same.
Is this something I should be concerned about such as engine damage ?
I attached picture of the top pipe, the bottom and what came out.
Thank you for the help.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2006 Yamaha Venture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
The bike still seems to run fine, the air coming from each pipe is almost the same.
It may seem like that at idle, but when at higher rpms there will be a slight difference.

Not really going to hurt anything but I believe it would be optimal to knock out the baffles in the other pipe, so both cylinders have the same exhaust restrictions.

2013 H-D FXS Blackline
2006 V-Star 1100 Classic
1980 XS650 Bob (in progress)
1981 XS650

USMC - 0331 - OEF
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 03:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
That's what I was thinking as well, well It sounds like I won't have to replace the exhaust which makes me feel better.
I've been 200+ miles today so far and no issues but I'll get the other baffle when I get back.

Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

2006 Yamaha Venture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:49 AM

Curious? Would not knocking the baffles out of both pipes make the exhaust extremely loud? Not sure how it sounds now or before. But removing the two baffles would seem to increase the sound and also would it not increase the exterior temperature of the muffler? Just curious and still learning.. Thanks!

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by merc669 View Post
Curious? Would not knocking the baffles out of both pipes make the exhaust extremely loud? Not sure how it sounds now or before. But removing the two baffles would seem to increase the sound and also would it not increase the exterior temperature of the muffler? Just curious and still learning.. Thanks!

Bill
It did make it louder but not a big change from the baffles already being punched around the outside.
I don't know about the heat either.

2006 Yamaha Venture
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:58 AM

Garage
remove the other pipe, bang a broom stick or something similar into it and rock it around to break the weld then chop around the hole with a long screwdriver so the weld can pass through the hole

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM

I pulled both those baffles out after a few months, it's still quiet at idle but slightly louder on acceleration. What I don't get is how the baffle knocking around inside the pipe didn't drive you up the wall? Also I had to use a long screwdriver and hammer to break down the back wall enough to get the flange out.

'09 Vstar 1100 Custom

'74 CB 750 Four
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrider06 View Post
I pulled both those baffles out after a few months, it's still quiet at idle but slightly louder on acceleration. What I don't get is how the baffle knocking around inside the pipe didn't drive you up the wall? Also I had to use a long screwdriver and hammer to break down the back wall enough to get the flange out.
It was still connected in the back so it never knocked around until it broke, then it was obvious.

2006 Yamaha Venture
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauli466 View Post
remove the other pipe, bang a broom stick or something similar into it and rock it around to break the weld then chop around the hole with a long screwdriver so the weld can pass through the hole
I didn't think about a broom handle, good idea

2006 Yamaha Venture
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP03 View Post
It may seem like that at idle, but when at higher rpms there will be a slight difference.

Not really going to hurt anything but I believe it would be optimal to knock out the baffles in the other pipe, so both cylinders have the same exhaust restrictions.
i had my buddy at a machine shop run a cutter into the pipe until about 1/4 of inch was sticking out of that second baffle, then i painted the inside with black header paint, looks better than a chopped out hole imop, i also used a cut off wheel to clean up ragged edges on the final baffle cut, but that's just me being fussy and liking a clean look

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers

Last edited by pauli466; 07-18-2016 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode