What to buy???? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

What to buy????

Long story short, to avoid running over my buddy's bike and him, after he lost it in a tight curve, I chose to run off the road. Insurance is writing off my '03 1100. Just some scrapes and bruises for me, nothing broken except my ego. Anyway, I've always liked the Roadstar and was looking to get one this season but since the accident I've started looking at 1300's. Now I'm not sure which I want. Anybody have experience with either? Recommendations for one over the other? And yes I tend to agree size matters.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:17 PM

Garage
Sorry for your bike and glad you're Ok. I'm a Roadstar fan and the bike just fits me perfectly. I own two of them. I've sat on a 1300 and the Roadstar just fits me better. I would check them both out and also try to test ride them both. There are a lot of great deals out there for Roadstars. I'm sure once you start looking hard at both bikes, one will stand out more for you. Both are great bikes. Both of my bikes have carbs and I'm currently looking for a 08 or newer Roadstar for the fuel injection. Nothing wrong with a carbed bike, just want some newer technology. Good luck!
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 12:44 PM

Ive 1300 v star and with a few mods i love it , silly quick , hauls me and the wife no problem , starts and runs everytime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:13 PM

Wow man. Sorry for your loss, and glad yer ok. And I agree, test ride em both to see what ya like best.

Sonysnek
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

silly quick , hauls me and the wife no problem

Thanks for the reply. This is the type of info I'm looking for. The 1100 solo is a great bike, loved it but when the wife hopped on the back it was definetely lacking in the power department. I never checked but I dare say we were at or over maximum weight.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE I'm a Roadstar fan and the bike just fits me [/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the fit is related to your height? How tall are you, I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 08:36 PM

Garage
I'm with afaycasaym, since you've pretty much narrowed your choices down to those two, go out and ride them and weigh each of their pros and cons. Check for aftermarket availability, and reviews. One of them will start to stand out. Please keep us updated, and I'm very glad you and your buddy were not seriously injured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:13 AM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. Must be a localized thing, ride before you buy because around here that's just not going to happen unless you sign on the dotted line and pay in full. Sure Harley has their ride days as did the local Yamaha dealer (who is not around anymore) but that's one day a year. And the Honda dealer is kind of a snob, this is the price take it or leave it and don't ask any questions.

'02 Road Star
Vance & Hines exhaust
K&N Air Filter
Stage 1

'03 V Star 1100 Classic
'68 BSA 650
Several 350 & 750 Hondas
'84 Goldwing
'03 Yamaha Grizzly 660
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:29 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyking897 View Post
[QUOTE I'm a Roadstar fan and the bike just fits me
Thanks for the reply. I'm assuming the fit is related to your height? How tall are you, I'm only 5'8" with a 30" inseam.[/QUOTE]

I'm 6'. I do have buddies that are your height that ride roadstars and are good with the fit. There are some places around here that also don't do test rides, but many of them do. At least you can get a bit of a feel for them by sitting on them. Either bike should have plenty of power....1300 vs 1700. Good luck!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 PM

+1 for the Road Star as well. It is by far the best selling metric cruiser ever built so there are tons of new and used aftermarket stuff and plenty of parts in the dealerships. Great deals on used ones abound....

I know if I ever part with my 1100....I'm going to have an 06-down Roadie (only because I like carbs). If you do get a chance to ride one of each of them, I'm sure you'll agree that it is the better bike for all around cruising.

Sick Mick* 2006 V Star 1100 Custom

--- Striping, lettering and paint by Sick Mick 6* Tree - 2" extended forks 21" front wheel - HK Sideburners - Progressive rear shock Pods Sick Mick solenoid delete - Spring seat - and other stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode