r6 caliper swap - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By chief ten bears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 03:56 PM Thread Starter

r6 caliper swap

my stock brake pads squeal. they squeal a lot. there is plenty of pad left, and i've cleaned and deglazed the rotor, sanded the pads, but the squeal always comes back. so i was looking at getting a new set of pads, but though maybe i'll go a bit further and upgrade the entire system.

so, i spent the last month or so working on this project at a leisurely pace. got a pair of left and right blue-dot calipers from a first generation r6. i disassembled them, cleaned them, removed and cleaned each piston, seal, etc. the left side, i had for extra parts (seals, pistons).

once finished cleaning completely and reassembling the caliper, i sprayed with vht caliper paint, in a silver colour. i let that sit for a few days to cure, then baked in a toaster over for 1 hour at 225 F, as per the instructions. it sat like that until today, when i completed the installation.

i drained and removed the stock brake line, then the stock caliper. i bolted the new caliper on with new pads, and installed a new stainless brake line, that i had made as well. once it was all bolted up, it took a while to re prime the master cylinder, but once i had that, bleeding the system was pretty painless.

i'm eager to take it out for a spin later today and test it all out. the r6 caliper is much lighter than the stock floating 2 piston caliper.

BigBuddha76 and BigBuddha76 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 03:57 PM Thread Starter

So after riding around a bit yesterday and today, I'm impressed with the brake swap. The braking isn't more powerful per say, but the feel is so much better, and you can work the front brake much better. It's much more linear rather than the off/on feeling brake before. I'm pleased with it for sure, for the little cost and mostly time for the project, was well worth it.

Sent from my Blackberry Priv using Tapatalk

Last edited by chief ten bears; 07-25-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode