Installed my Cobra exhaust today...I hope..not aligned and white smoke - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By The Jimbonaut
  • 2 Post By merc669
  • 2 Post By nick57

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Installed my Cobra exhaust today...I hope..not aligned and white smoke

Got my Cobra Speedster Longs exhaust installed today, man they sound good and look the business. Couldn't be happier.

Thing is, they're not perfectly aligned, the front heat shield is a little skewed (not snug up to the exhaust flange at all) and I can sense strain - once I took them out for a quick ride and the bike started cooling down the misalignment became more pronounced. The end of the pipes are supposed to be exactly aligned but they're about 4-5mm off.

The other thing - there was a small amount of white smoke coming out the tailpipe and also at the manifold on the rear pipe. I think it calmed down a bit - is this normal for new pipes? I replaced both exhaust gaskets with new ones.

There's also a fair amount of popping on deceleration but I'll be re-jetting the carbs asap.

Thinking about taking it all apart and trying again in the morning. I love this bike so it won't be a ballache - do you think I should or am I stressing over nothing?

Thanks one and all =)
Keith Post and Keith Post like this.

Yamez - putting the Yam into Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 06:57 PM

I have a Cobra Slip-On on mine and reading that popping and backfiring (I call it) is normal to an extent. One thing I did which helped was to reset the ECU. I disconnected the battery and left it for about 30 min and reconnected it. It greatly helped but did not eliminate it all. I have also read that the Cobra Fuel Management module helps a lot more. I plan on adding an air intake on mine like the Cobra and will be looking at that module in the future. I am sure others who know more and have more experience will jump in here to help. Enjoy your ride and be safe out there!!

Bill

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 07:04 PM

you dont need to rejet turn the pms screw out a quarter turn should cure the popping. the bottom pipe on my cobra longs has been sticking out farther than the top forever, cant get them even..maybe i'm doing something wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, really - this forum is such a huge help for a guy like me who's learning the ropes. If I could I be buying the beers.

Ok, I'll try disconnecting the battery and see if that helps. I'll also look into turning the kms screw but to be honest I have literally no idea what that is or where to find it - I'll see if I can find some info online and I'm sure there's some out there.

Any idea about the smoke? It could just be the "new" burning off the pipe, I'll hold a tissue up to the rear exhaust manifold tomorrow and see if there's a leak there (there was smoke coming out there as well). I'll let you know how I get on.

I'll try and take a pic of the front heat shield too - it's way off (and yeah, my lower pipe is way lower than the upper one). Might this mean the alignment of the head pipes and muffler is not right? Could this be a "du-du-du-duuuuuuhhhhhhh" bad thing?

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah - which way do I turn the pms screw, clockwise or counter?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 08:29 PM

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-Kr...I4S2pMUFE/edit follow the jetting instructions and it shows how to drill the factory plugs that cover the pms "idle mixture screws".white smoke possible rear valve cover leaking.clockwise turning in makes them leaner and counterclockwise screwing them out makes it richer. try a quarter turn."out"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the link - so I don't need to re-jet the carbs but do need to remove the carbs to get to the pms screw? This looks pretty intense - I'm all for having a go myself but this would definitely be the most mechanical thing I've done! I'm up for it - does anyone have any advice or tips? I'm not kidding - I'd really be going off the deep end if I try this myself.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 10:00 AM

I use this link a lot. Its for the 1300, but some of the advise might give you a direction to look also for more infio and some ideas.

Bill

V Star 1300 Wiki / FrontPage

2009 V-Star 1300 Tourer (First bike in 35 Years and only 1737 Miles when I bought it.)
Cobra Slip-On
Windshield ground down 4 inches
CompTIA A+ Certified
KC3DEZ - FCC Extra Class License
Currently working on my CompTIASecurity+ Certification
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 11:12 AM

it was the most intense thing i did to my expensive toy also.if you are mechanically inclined and have tools do it. you need a manual,clymers.the hard part is removing the bowl screws...
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Update on the pipes - woke up this morning and after looking at yesterday's exhaust install I knew I has to take them off and try again. The alignment just wasn't right. So, armed with a couple of cold ones the heat shields came off, all the bolts loosened and I tried shuffling everything more snug. Got the heat shields back on and it's a definite improvement. Not perfect, but way better. Bottom pipe maybe sticking out 1 or 2mm now, that's it. I can live with that.

No smoke anymore, so think that must have been the "new" burning off. I'll keep an eye on it.

And I'm going to try adjusting the PMS screw this week. I'll order some after market replacement screws (from Metric Magic) to make adjustments easier in the future. Looking forward to the next project - damn I love my bike.

Thanks one and all =)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode